NAFSA’s 2016 national election concluded at midnight on September 30, 2016, and on October 3, as chair of NAFSA’s Governance Committee I reported the election results to the Board of Directors, and the Leadership Development Committee. The list of the elected leaders who will begin their terms in January 2017 is given below. My heartiest congratulations to the members of our future leadership team!
I would like to extend my deepest appreciation to many individuals. First, I thank all those individuals that allowed their names to be considered for leadership positions. Your willingness to contribute your time in service of NAFSA speaks to your commitment to our organization.
Thanks also to the member leaders on the Governance and Leadership Development Committees tasked with identifying and vetting potential candidates under the NAFSA bylaws. These committee members work diligently over the course of the year to review the open positions, seek nominations, and interview candidates to ensure diverse perspectives and skills are represented on the slate.
Finally, my big thanks to all NAFSA members that participated in this process by voting, nominating colleagues, or participating in the application and vetting process. Please begin thinking about colleagues to nominate for leadership positions when the call for nominations for the following year goes out in January 2017.
Secretary of the Corporation, Chair of the Governance Committee, NAFSA Board of Directors
2017 Elected Leaders
President of the Association and Chair of the Board of Directors:
- Elaine Meyer-Lee, Vice President for Global Learning and Leadership Development, Agnes Scott College
Vice President for Public Policy and Practice:
- Bonnie Bissonette, Director, Student Center for Global Education, University of Maryland, Baltimore
Board of Directors Member-at-Large:
- Michael Adewumi, Vice Provost for Global Programs, Pennsylvania State University
- LaNitra Berger, Director, Office of Fellowships, George Mason University
- Stephen Ferst, Executive Director, Center for Global Engagement, College of Staten Island
- Jesse Lutabingwa, Professor & Associate Vice Chancellor, Office of International Education and Development, Appalachian State University
- Sara Thurston, Director, International Student and Scholar Services, Kansas State University
- Lesley Wilson, Executive Director, European University Association
Chair-elect, Education Abroad Knowledge Community:
- Louis Berends, Director of Academic Programs, Syracuse University
Chair-elect, International Education Leadership Knowledge Community:
Chair-elect, International Enrollment Management Knowledge Community:
- Matthew Beatty, Director of International Admissions, Concordia College (MN)
Chair-elect, Knowledge Community for International Student and Scholar Services:
Chair-elect, Teaching, Learning, and Scholarship Knowledge Community:
- Anne D’Angelo, Assistant Dean, Carlson School of Management, University of Minnesota
Chair-elect, Leadership Development Committee:
- Linda Tobash, Senior Director for Policy, Knowledge, and Data of World Education Services (WES)
Chair-elect, Membership Committee:
- Patricia Jones, Retired Director of the English as a Second Language Institute at Western Illinois University.