The NAFSA Cuba Engagement Initiative focuses on creating sustainable partnerships between U.S. and Cuban academic institutions. The initiative builds on NAFSA's longstanding focus on Latin America and Cuba and redoubles NAFSA’s commitment to the use of academic exchanges and partnerships to build a more globally engaged U.S. and develop new opportunities for international higher education leaders to collaborate. The NAFSA Cuba Engagement Initiative includes the Cuba-U.S. Higher Education Dialogue Project and the Educators for Cuba Campaign.
NAFSA Cuba Engagement Initiative
2016 NAFSA Annual Conference and Expo, Denver, Colorado
NAFSA 2017 Advocacy Day
March 13-14, 2017 | Washington, DC
Join advocates from around the country in advocating your members of Congress to end the travel ban and lift the embargo. Register now for this two day experience and make a difference on Capitol Hill.
Cuba-related programming at the 2017 NAFSA Annual Conference & Expo
Los Angeles, CA | May 28-June 2, 2017
A special focus track for attendees interested in learning more about higher education in Cuba and opportunities for partnerships between U.S. and Cuban institutions.
Workshop of Strategic Alliances for the Internationalization of Higher Education - Cuba TIES 2017
October 23-27, 2017 | Cienfuegos, Cuba
Educational leaders, experts, professors, and students from around the world will explore issues of partnership, integration, and sustainability on the campus of La Universidad de Cienfuegos and at historic locations around the city. NAFSA members are eligible for a 10 percent registration discount.
What Trump Misses About Cuba
By William M. LeoGrande | The New York Times
Join the Cuba Engagement Online Community
Relations between the United States and Cuba are constantly changing. Join this online community on Network NAFSA to stay up-to-date on news, access resources, share your experiences, and more.
To join the community, you must have a NAFSA Passport username and password. Create a free NAFSA Passport here.
Community Members and Institutions
The following 143 institutions are members of the NAFSA Cuba Engagement online community.
Cuba-U.S. Higher Education Dialogue Project
Through the Cuba-U.S. Higher Education Dialogue Project, NAFSA provides:
- On-going teaching and learning events in which participants will gain insights and expertise about the Cuban and U.S. higher education landscapes.
- Networking and partnership opportunities.
- Travel grants for Cuban education leaders to attend the NAFSA 2016 and 2017 Annual Conference & Expo and other events.
Engagement Dialogue: University of Cienfuegos
Representatives from the University of Cienfuegos speak about higher education opportunities at their institution and between Cuba and the United States at the NAFSA 2016 Annual Conference & Expo in Denver, Colorado.
Educators for Cuba Campaign
NAFSA provides policy and advocacy leadership through its Educators for Cuba Campaign, including:
- Targeting advocacy work to urge the U.S. Congress to ease travel restrictions and lift the economic embargo on Cuba.
- Pushing for transparent, efficient visa processing for Cuban travel to the United States.
- Convening higher education leaders and like-minded partners including American Association of State Colleges and Universities (AASCU), Civitas Global Educational Services, Engage Cuba, the Latin America Working Group (LAWG), and the Washington Office on Latin America (WOLA) to mobilize support.
Higher education leaders are supported by NAFSA’s public policy team with legislative updates; access to coalition efforts with local education, agriculture, and business leaders; and advocacy opportunities to connect with and educate members of Congress on Cuba and the value of international education.