NAFSA's work is guided by a strategic plan, developed and refreshed annually by the board of directors. The plan announces the association’s vision, mission, and values, and guides the association in developing services, programs, and products to serve its members.
In fulfilling its vision and mission, NAFSA organizes its goals around the organization’s three strategic focus areas: influencing public policy, creating and disseminating knowledge, and maintaining a strong organization.
Download the 2012-2014 Strategic Plan (200kb )
Goals for 2012-2014
- Be a strong advocate for public policies that promote a better world through international education and exchange.
- Support comprehensive internationalization as an essential component of higher education.
- Advance NAFSA's leadership position in key knowledge areas.
- Achieve excellence in professional development and educational products, services, and conferences for international educators.
- Develop and recommend principles, guidelines, and practices for international educators.
- Ensure effective governance, leadership, communication, and coordination for the association.
- Ensure a strong administrative and financial foundation to support NAFSA's strategic growth.
- Strategically increase the membership and participant base of NAFSA.