USCIS Service Centers- Scholar and Employment-Based Inquiries

July 26, 2017


The page is maintained as a resource for inquiries regarding Scholar/Employment-Based cases. Always check the USCIS Forms Page to verify correct filing procedures, fees, addresses, and form versions.

USCIS created inquiry protocols for scholar or employment-based inquiries from members of all stakeholder associations (e.g., NAFSA, American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA), and Council for Global Immigration (CGI) and community-based organizations (Catholic Charities, etc.).

Note: these protocols are only for regular processing cases; for premium processing cases, see the Premium Processing contact information listed at the end of this page.

For inquiries related to student cases (I-539 for reinstatement or change of status to F/M/J; I-765 for OPT, Severe Economic Hardship, etc) see Issue Inquiry Paths for International Student and Scholar Advisers.

Step 1

Contact the National Customer Service Center (NCSC) at 1-800-375-5283. The NCSC can assist customers, community-based organizations, and liaison groups with case-related inquiries. Before calling the NCSC, please have available the receipt number, alien registration number, type of application filed, and date filed. During the call we recommend that you take note of the following information:

  • The name and/or ID number of the NCSC representative
  • The date and time of the call
  • Any service request referral number, if a service referral on a pending case is taken

You can also submit a USCIS e-Request for Case Inquiry regarding:

  • Case outside normal processing times
  • Did not receive notice by mail
  • Did not receive card by mail
  • Did not receive document by mail

    Step 2

    If more than 30 days have passed since you contacted the NCSC and the issue has not been resolved or explained, then email the proper USCIS Service Center to check the status of the case.

    Please note: Emails should be sent to the Service Center that has jurisdiction over your case. Visit the USCIS Service Center and Office Locator to learn which center provides service to your state. The I-797 receipt number prefix on the notice will indicate which service center issued the notice: EAC for the Vermont Service Center, SRC for the Texas Service Center, LIN for the Nebraska Service Center, and WAC for the California Service Center, YSC for the Potomac Service Center.

    When contacting the Service Centers by email you will need to provide the information outlined in Step 1. If the NCSC did not issue a service request after your call, please indicate the reason the NCSC representative did not issue the request.

    Step 3

    In the event you do not receive a response within 21 days of contacting the appropriate Service Center, you may email the USCIS Headquarters Office of Service Center Operations at: You will receive a response from this email address within 10 days.

    Step 4

    NAFSA members can request case assistance from your NAFSA Regbud through IssueNet: Get Liaison Help and a Regbud will be notified.

    If an issue is urgent, or the issue has still not been resolved after e-mailing the SCOPSSCATA e-mail address, NAFSA members can request assistance through their regional NAFSA Regulatory Ombudsperson, who can follow up with his/her Service Center contact or USCIS SCOPS directly. In addition, you can report policy interpretation questions, or inconsistencies between service centers, through these special contacts and by reporting to IssueNet: Report an Issue to inform NAFSA's International Student and Scholar Regulatory Practice (ISS RP) Committee about emerging trends or government obstacles related to international students and scholars.

    Premium Processing Contacts

    Scholar Issues (Premium Processing)
    Preferred method of contact: E-mail
    T: 949.831.8550
    F: 949.389.3460  
    Scholar Issues (Premium Processing)
    Preferred method of contact: E-mail
    Fax: (802) 527-4819

    Each Service Center has a specific email address for questions concerning Premium Processing.

  • California Service Center:
  • California Service Center (WAC):
  • Nebraska Service Center:
  • Nebraska Service Center (LIN):
  • Texas Service Center:
  • Texas Service Center (SRC):
  • Vermont Service Center:
  • Vermont Service Center (EAC):



    Request USCIS case assistance through NAFSA Regulatory Ombudspersons via IssueNet: Get Liaison Help.

    Report other issues to NAFSA's International Student and Scholar Regulatory Practice (ISS-RP) Committee via IssueNet: Report an Issue.