Student Visas for the United Kingdom: Your Questions Answered


Does your student need a Tier 4 or a student visitor visa? Do you have the confirmation of acceptance for studies (CAS) number? Can a student visa be expedited?

This chat featured two members of NAFSA’s Consular Affairs Liaison (CAL) Subcommittee and a representative from the U.K. Visas and Immigration Agency who answered U.K. student visa questions and provided tips on preparing the student visa application.

Read the Transcript

Live Blog Student Visas for the United Kingdom


Christine MenandChristine Menand
Carnegie Mellon University  

Christine Menand is the assistant director for Study Abroad and Exchange Programs for Carnegie Mellon University (CMU). In this role, Menand oversees study abroad for three of the six CMU undergraduate colleges. She also oversees student exchange at the undergraduate and graduate level, working with departmental staff and faculty advisers supporting the creation and management of exchange, and assisting with advising, immigration guidance, and overall supervision of various university and departmentally specific exchanges. Menand holds an MA in Slavonic and East European studies from University College London's School of Slavonic and East European Studies (SSEES) and a BA in international studies from the University of Richmond.

Laurence TuccoriLaurence Tuccori
University of Kentucky

Laurence Tuccori has been working as an education abroad (EA) adviser and exchange coordinator at the University of Kentucky (UK) since 2013. In this position, Tuccori serves as EA adviser to UK's College of Education and College of Business and Economics, and oversees UK's 50-plus bilateral and multilateral student exchange programs. Tuccori also serves as country coordinator for the United Kingdom team on NAFSA’s CAL Subcommittee. He earned his bachelor’s degree in England and his master’s degree in the United States.

Drew ChenDrew Chen
Representative from the U.K. Visas and Immigration Agency

Drew Chen has worked in the visa section of the British Consulate General in New York for three years and previously worked for a pharmaceutical company and on a college campus in student services. Chen holds a Masters degree in Medical Humanities from Drew University and a Bachelor's in Biology from Franklin & Marshall College. As an undergraduate, he spent a semester in Copenhagen and as a graduate student, participated in a short summer program in Mali.