Last Minute Information
Are you ready for Puerto Rico? Here is some last minute reminders:
- Conference attire is professional casual.
- Pack clothes for a tropical climate but have a light jacket to wear in the convention center.
- The hotel is not connected to the convention center, so have an umbrella handy in case of showers.
- Bring your business cards.
- Remember that no passport is required for travel to Puerto Rico from the U.S. mainland. Some form of government-issued identification will suffice for boarding flights to and from the island.
- To avoid risk of mosquito-borne illnesses such as dengue fever, bring mosquito repellent that includes DEET, and wear long-sleeve shirts and long pants if you'll be visiting densely wooded areas (http://www.cdc.gov/dengue/about/inPuerto.html). Look at the CDC site for more information (http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/puerto-rico.htm).
- Check with your cell phone provider to see if additional charges apply in Puerto Rico!
- Conference hotel rooms have free wireless Internet.
There is a taxi kiosk outside of the airport terminal building, on the lower level near the baggage claim area. The attendant at the kiosk will quote you the exact price of the trip to your hotel and write down that amount for the taxi driver. The cost from the airport to the Sheraton hotel is $25 plus the customary 10 to 15% gratuity. The trip takes about 15 to 20 minutes depending on traffic. In addition to taxis, there is also shuttle service from the airport to the hotel. The cost is $18 for a shared ride that takes about 20 minutes. It is possible to make a reservation on line at http://www.puertoricoshuttle.com, though no reservation is required for travel from the airport.
- If you change your travel plans, be sure to contact the hotel immediately to adjust or cancel your reservation. Remember that the hotel will charge your credit card for one night's stay, 24 hours prior to your arrival. If you are delayed by a day, you should alert the hotel immediately to keep your reservation from being cancelled completely.
- The Sheraton has extended our group a 20% discount on lunch and dinner in any of the hotel's restaurants. And everyone in the group will receive a 20% discount on all spa treatments during the conference dates.