Region XII Northern District Spring Conference
Through the Grapevine: Sharing Solutions in International Education
The NAFSA Region XII Northern District Team welcomes you to our annual Spring Conference on Sunday, April 5, 2020 and Monday, April 6, 2020 at Napa Valley College! The 2020 conference theme, "Through the Grapevine: Sharing Solutions in International Ed," encourages the sharing of knowledge, tools, and resources to engage with and respond to an ever-changing field. The conference serves as a platform for international educators from Northern California to pursue professional development and to identify best practices through a variety of sessions, speakers, and networking opportunities.
Sunday, April 5: Optional Free Preconference Workshop and Evening Reception
Monday, April 6: Full-Day Conference - Sessions and Expo Hall
Location: Napa Valley College, Napa, CA
Registration is now open. Please register by March 16 2020 to reserve your spot.
Please note there will be no on-site registration available.
In addition to having 20+ concurrent sessions to choose from, registration also include:
- Free pre-conference networking workshop
- Free pre-conference wine-and-cheese Evening Reception
- Continental Breakfast
- Morning workshops: Newcomers Session and Seasoned NAFSAns’ Roundtable
- Keynote Speaker
- Hosted Lunch
- Coffee Break
If the registrant is unable to attend, please contact us at by March 16 to request a refund. No refunds are available after March 16.
Download the conference app to get access to the full detailed conference schedule, site maps, exhibitor/sponsor information, speakers, job opportunities, and so much more!
To access the app, follow these instructions:
- Download the conference App via the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store and search for the Socio Event App
- After you have downloaded the app, you can create a profile by using your Facebook or LinkedIn accounts
- Once you log in, search for NAFSA and our event should pop up as the only event. Please click join.
- You will be prompted to enter a passphrase. The passphrase for our conference is “ND2020”
You're done! From here, you should be able to see our homepage where you can view all the information about this year's conference at Napa Valley College.
Again this year, we will be offering resume reviews at the upcoming Northern District Conference at Napa Valley College for those newcomers and others who are interested in receiving feedback about their resumes, cover letters and career goals. Resume reviews will be conducted by veteran NAFSAns with many years of experience making hiring decisions in the field of international education. The resume reviews will take place during session time periods during the conference. Resume reviews are planned as 30-minute one-on-one interactions. Sign up for your resume review at the registration desk when you arrive at the conference, or check throughout the day for times that remain open. Bring a copy of your resume and cover letter with you to the review.
Region XII Northern CA District is pleased to offer travel grants for the conference on April 6th at Napa Valley College! These grants are open to members and nonmembers.
Five grantees will be awarded a maximum of $100 to apply towards travel expenses that may include: conference registration, 1/2 double room rate, meals, and transportation. Travel grants will be awarded as reimbursements after the conference upon submission of receipts.
Submit your application by February 25, 2020.
The Northern District Team is hosting a free Preconference Networking Workshop in collaboration with BAYPIE: Bay Area Young Professionals in International Education. This workshop will take place on Sunday, April 5 from 3:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
At this workshop, you will:
- Redefine what "networking" means to you;
- Receive tools and information to help you network more successfully; and
- Breakout activities to practice with other participants
The workshop will lead directly into the Evening Reception, during which you can practice your new networking skills!
Evening Reception Information
The free evening wine-and-cheese reception will include take place on Sunday, April 5 from 4:30 pm to 6:30 pm. Enjoy a relaxing atmosphere and connect with fellow professionals in the field while sampling local wine, along with other delicious beverages and snacks. The reception will include a variety of food choices, including vegetarian and gluten-free options.
Take advantage of the incredible Napa location by staying for the weekend to experience all that Napa has to offer: incredible wineries, delicious restaurants, and so much more. Please view this list of recommended hotels near to Napa Valley College. Other good resources for finding accommodations in the area include visitnapavalley.com/hotels, Airbnb.com, and VRBO.com.
Napa Valley’s bus service is called the VINE. You can read more about schedules and maps at https://vinetransit.com/, and the following VINE Routes go to Napa Valley College:
- 11 - Napa, American Canyon, and Vallejo
- 29 - Calistoga, St. Helena, Yountville, Napa, American Canyon, and the El Cerrito del Norte BART station
There are also lots of options on the Visit Napa Valley website for longer distances: https://www.visitnapavalley.com/plan/transportation/
Mentorship Program Information
Due to an increasing interest in mentorship among our members, we are adding a mentorship component to the preconference Newcomer's Session on Monday, April 6 from 8:00 a.m - 8:45 a.m.
During this session, we will give seasoned professionals a chance to share their wisdom and experiences, and to promote discussion, with a small group of international education newcomer "mentees."
If you're interested in participating in this session as a mentor or mentee, please indicate your interest in the appropriate registration question below.
Interested in exhibiting at the Region XII Northern District Spring Conference? Exhibit spaces are available for purchase for $110.00!
Exhibitor registration includes:
- One (1) full-conference registration;
- One (1) exhibitor table in a high-traffic area;
- Two (2) chairs;
- Advertisement in the conference app;
- Breakfast and lunch on Monday, April 6; and
- One (1) reception ticket.
Please note: If you would like to have more than one person staffing your table, please have the second person register with for the conference at the $80.00 regular registration rate.
Thank you for your support! The following sponsorship opportunities are available for purchase:
Breakfast or Coffee Break Sponsor
There will be a pre-conference continental breakfast, as well as a 15-minute coffee break in a high traffic area of the conference. This sponsorship option will receive the following benefits:
- Company name in the official printed conference program
- Advertisement in the app on a rotating banner
- Name and advertisement on the main breakfast/coffee break table
- A special “thank you” mention at the all-conference luncheon
Reception or Lunch Sponsor
There will be an evening pre-conference reception on April 5th, during which attendees can network over food and drink, as well as an all-conference luncheon on the day of the event. The reception or lunch sponsor will receive the following benefits:
- Company name featured in the official conference app
- Advertisement in the app on a rotating banner
- Name and advertisement on the main reception/lunch table
- A special “thank you” mention in the opening remarks
- 5 minutes speaking time to introduce your organization/company/services at the start of the event.