The chair of Trainer Corps (TC) monitors all aspects of the TC program and takes the lead role in ensuring that Trainer Corps members are well prepared for their volunteer role(s) through preparation and support programs. The chair-designate serves a one-year term before assuming the chair position for a one-year term. The Trainer Corps chair also takes on the responsibilities of serving as the Professional Learning Services Liaison on the President’s Coordinating Council.
Functions and Responsibilities
In collaboration with NAFSA staff and other NAFSA member leaders, the Trainer Corps chair-designate:
- Supports the team that delivers the Trainer Corps Preparation Program at the NAFSA Annual Conference as needed
- Supports the work of the Core Education Program (CEP) Workshop deans and provides guidance and direction in setting dean priorities
- Contributes to Trainer Corps newsletter and other TC enrichment opportunities
- Recruits Trainer Corps members to serve in various involvement roles within Trainer Corps
- Endorses and supports the work of the Trainer Corps Chair
In collaboration with NAFSA staff and other NAFSA member leaders, the Trainer Corps chair:
- Monitors all Trainer Corps-related activities, including delivery of Trainer Corps-related programs at the NAFSA Annual Conference (preconference virtual orientations, TC induction and enrichment workshops, colloquium, and reception) and the lead trainer virtual preparation program in support of CEP Workshop delivery at various venues
- Appoints Trainer Corps members to serve in various involvement roles within Trainer Corps
- Serves as spokesperson for the Trainer Corps member recruitment process
- Promotes Trainer Corps and the NAFSA Core Education Program to NAFSA regional leaders, knowledge community leaders, at NAFSA conferences and other meetings
- Acts as a resource to Trainer Corps members
- Provides guidance to the team of reviewers in the Trainer Corps application review process
- Ensures all Trainer Corps members are given consistent and professional support and training in preparation for their various roles
- Plans and convenes regular meetings (virtual) with Trainer Corps leadership and NAFSA Staff
- Leads, mentors and guides the duties of the Trainer Corps chair-designate
- Reviews all Trainer Corps feedback reports and makes informed suggestions on programmatic changes
The Trainer Corps chair serves on the President’s Coordinating Council as the Professional Learning Services (PLS) Liaison. The primary responsibility of this position is to liaise between NAFSA’s Professional Learning Services and member leaders to inform and promote the PLS learning events to varied NAFSA audiences:
- Acts as a conduit of information for NAFSA’s learning programs between NAFSA members and NAFSA staff
- Fosters collaborative relationships with other NAFSA leadership groups involved in creating practice resources, especially the Knowledge Community member leaders.
- Interacts with the Regional Affairs Committee (RAC) to facilitate regional awareness of professional development programming and facilitate awareness of regional professional development needs
- Actively promotes all of the PLS learning programs to a wide range of audiences
On average, 10 hours per month will be needed to complete the ongoing work. The heaviest periods of work will occur in:
- Early spring, preparing for the various Annual Conference TC programs and events
- Winter, supporting the recruitment and application of new and renewing members
- Ongoing monthly conference calls with staff for overall program coordination
In addition, during the chair year:
- Early December through late January (preparing for and attending the Washington Leadership Meeting (WLM); Early April through mid-May in preparation for the Annual Conference. Periodic Coordinating Council conference calls throughout the year.
The chair term is for one year, preceded by one year as chair-designate, for a total of two years. The term begins January 1, 2020 - December 31, 2021.
You will have the opportunity to enhance your leadership skills, influence the components of the NAFSA Trainer Corps program, work collaboratively with other regional and Knowledge Community leaders, design and deliver training, share knowledge and expertise, connect with TC members from around the country, contribute to the development of skilled international educators, and give back to the international education field.
The position receives support in the form of:
- Training on Trainer Corps chair duties by shadowing chair during year as chair-designate
- Close working relationship with NAFSA staff in planning of all aspects of related programs
- NAFSA staff management of preparation program logistics, registration, national marketing, etc.
Operating expenses members incur in offices/at home, such as copying, phone calls, etc. are not reimbursed. Conference calls are set up by staff and covered by the association as necessary.
Travel, per diem, and lodging expenses are reimbursed for all national meetings, except for those surrounding the Annual Conference. Travel to/from the Annual Conference, along with any meals and lodging for meetings before/during the conference, is not covered. Lodging for large meetings (WLM, for example) is provided in double rooms; members may pay the difference between a double and a single if they wish to room alone, assuming space is available.
- Current Trainer Corps member
- Demonstrated ability to successfully deliver NAFSA CEP Workshops
- Demonstrated ability to lead, manage, and motivate a group of volunteers
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate efforts with NAFSA staff
- 5-7 years experience in management of international education programs
- Willingness and time to participate in Trainer Corps discussions (conference calls, online)
- Willingness to work in virtual environments
- Willingness to present in a virtual environment during virtual trainings and orientations
- Commitment to attend Annual Conference during tenure as chair-designate and chair
- Previous experience as CEP lead trainer, TC Preparation Program Team trainer, CEP workshop dean, e-Learning Dean, or CEP curriculum team member
The Vice President for Professional Development and Engagement appoints the Trainer Corps Chair-designate.
Applications should be submitted to NAFSA’s Professional Learning Services [email protected] by September 1, 2019 for best consideration.