Committee: Teaching, Learning, and Scholarship Knowledge Community (TLS KC)
Position: Member, Emerging Scholar-Practitioner Working Group
Term Dates: January 1, 2020 – December 31, 2021
The Teaching, Learning, and Scholarship Knowledge Community (TLS KC) Emerging Scholar-Practitioner Working Group is charged with creating and disseminating resources that will support emerging scholar-practitioners in their academic work and to increase their engagement across NAFSA.
Position updated September 2019
- Develop resources supporting emerging scholar-practitioners in accordance with the annual TLS KC Work Plan.
- Maintain attentiveness to development and implementation of resources in support of emerging scholar-practitioners by observing, prompting, and participating in online discussions forums (such as the TLS Networks) and reading NAFSA.news.
- Maintain a strong familiarity with NAFSA’s resources.
- Assist emerging scholar-practitioners in locating these resources.
- Encourage and facilitate the inclusion of emerging scholar-practitioner content for and by consideration at annual and regional conferences.
- Participate in conference calls.
- Participate in review of Graduate Student Central webpages to ensure that they are relevant and current.
- Adhere to the charge for the Emerging Scholar-Practitioner Working Group.
Relationships with Other Members
This position collaborates closely with other NAFSA leaders to enhance work efforts across the association.
Relationships with the NAFSA Staff
This position partners closely with the NAFSA staff partner assigned. Effective relationships reflect and include responsiveness to phone calls/e-mail correspondence, timely delivery on responsibilities, open communication and mutual respect among other characteristics.
- Serve a two-year term, renewable once for a maximum term of four years.
- Devote two to four hours per month to ongoing e-mail correspondence, projects, working group conference calls, etc.
- Attend annual working group meeting during the NAFSA Annual Conference, when possible.
- Demonstrated experience working with/in research resources in the field of international/global education.
- Demonstrated experience working with or researching emerging scholar-practitioner needs and their impact on the field of international education.
- Willingness to adopt organization-wide perspectives and TLS KC strategic priorities.
- Ability to work effectively with a team in an outcomes-based environment.
- High strategic planning, management, networking, and collaborative experience.
- Willingness to adopt organization-wide perspectives.
- Manage unconscious bias in the assessment and decision-making process.
- NAFSA membership through the term of service is appreciated.