Committee: International Enrollment Management Knowledge Community (IEM KC)
Position: Recruitment, Advising, Marketing, Admissions (RAMA) Network Leader
Term Dates: Two-year term, renewable for one term (maximum of 4 years)
The International Enrollment Management Knowledge Community provides professional development opportunities, programs, and resources for those in the fields of admissions, credential evaluation, marketing and recruitment, overseas educational advising, intensive English programs, and sponsored program administration. The RAMA network leader provides oversight and coordination of the RAMA professional network, the primary vehicle of the IEM KC for disseminating knowledge and information for RAMA professionals. This volunteer position continues the development and management of resources as well as a vibrant discussion forum on Network.NAFSA.
Position updated August 2018
Applications are not currently being accepted.
- Monitors and participates in the RAMA discussion forum
- Maintains the What’s New section of the landing page
- Ensures responses to any unanswered postings
- Addresses technical aspects of the network in collaboration with Web Services staff
- Works with NAFSA staff to ensure a strong, dynamic sense of community amongst subscribers
- Promotes professional development of members of the RAMA network
- Works closely with the IEM chair stream and takes the lead in projects assigned by the Chair
- Collaborates with other network leaders on cross-network resources and discussions
- Keeps abreast of trends and issues in the field and brings to the attention of the IEM Team
- Coordinates the creation of high quality & timely resources related to RAMA
- Ensures the review & revision of existing resources as needed
- Refers international educators to appropriate network(s) and encourage participation in networks
All NAFSA leaders are expected to foster an inclusive environment and seek to learn and understand the multicultural perspectives of the committee/team, our constituents, and stakeholders to align with the NAFSA Diversity and Inclusion Statement. An expression of leadership in this area includes:
- Engaging the committee/team to identify and implement strategies for increased personal outreach, recruitment, and onboarding for all, especially diversity-focused and underrepresented groups
- Increasing accessibility and participation from underrepresented groups, individuals, and institutions
- Expanding educational content within the committees’ purview through intentional outreach and recruitment of diverse presenters and institutional types in partnership with various NAFSA groups
NAFSA: Association of International Educators is a professional association driven by its Strategic Plan as established by the Board of Directors. The success of the association depends on the productive engagement of three key constituencies: the Board, member-leaders, and staff. Member-leaders are advocates for the association’s mission, vision, values, diversity and inclusion, and ethical principles. They align their work closely with the Board through its vice presidents and with staff to carry out the Strategic Plan. Member-leader roles are guided by objectives assigned by the Strategic Plan, by outcome accountabilities outlined in the Standing Rules, and by position descriptions for specific roles.
- This position collaborates closely with other NAFSA leaders to enhance work efforts across the association.
- This position partners closely with the NAFSA staff partner assigned. Effective relationships reflect and include responsiveness to phone calls/e-mail correspondence, timely delivery on responsibilities, open communication and mutual respect among other characteristics.
- Commit to serving the two-year position term
- Estimated time commitment is one to two hours per week, depending on network activity
- Participate in monthly conference calls with the IEM Team
- Participation in the Washington Leadership Meetings (WLMs) in February 2019 and January 2020 (funding for WLM is provided by NAFSA).
- Preparation for and attendance at pre-conference meetings at the NAFSA annual conference in late May 2019 and 2020.
- Subscribe to the network leader workspace and set preferences to receive e-mailed announcement and discussion forum postings
- Serve as Review Team Member for Annual Conference Session and Workshop proposals and in roles as needed by the IEM KC Coordinator of the Annual Conference Committee
- Experience in international education with specific knowledge of – and currently working in – recruitment, advising, marketing, and/or admissions
- Demonstrated leadership skills, especially in building/supervising teams or work groups
- An active interest in assisting colleagues with professional and leadership development
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Familiarity with a variety forms of social media
- Experience using Web-based communication (technical experience is not required)
- Willingness to adopt organization-wide perspectives and IEM KC strategic priorities
- Willingness to adopt association priorities and perspectives on volunteer development and management
- High strategic planning, management, networking, and delegation experience
- Strong coordination, analytical, oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work effectively with a team and with NAFSA staff in an outcomes-based environment
- Commitment to access and respond to e-mail in a timely fashion as well as communicate using online electronic tools/systems plus the online workspace structure
- Willingness and ability to travel for participation and representation at NAFSA meetings
- Manage unconscious bias in the assessment and decision-making process
- Recognized by peers for being energetic, innovative, and visionary
- Valid NAFSA membership through the length of the leadership term
- Ability to meet the volunteer commitment outlined and planning calendar deadlines