NAFSA is proud to partner with Welcoming America to promote its annual Welcoming Week celebration from September 14-23. Every day, NAFSA members work towards making their campuses and communities more welcoming places for international students and scholars, and Welcoming Week is an excellent opportunity to highlight this commitment. We invite your campus or institution to participate in Welcoming Week to highlight the work you’re doing to make immigrants, students, scholars and visitors feel welcome.
Welcoming America is a network of U.S. cities, counties, states, and non-profit organizations who bring together host communities and immigrant and nonimmigrant newcomers. Welcoming Week events are terrific opportunities to bring people together through potlucks, film festivals, fairs, symposia and other creative efforts to encourage inclusion, dialogue and community. Last year, over 700 events were held across the country in celebration of Welcoming Week 2017.
Register your event with Welcoming America to have it listed on the searchable Welcoming Week map and receive further planning resources and support.
Higher Education Events in 2018
- The Keck Graduate Institute in Claremont, CA is hosting “Conversation with the Deans,” as the Deans of Student Affairs and Admissions will share their stories and discuss challenges they their families faced.
- The University of Colorado Denver, the Metropolitan State University of Denver, the Community College of Denver and the University of Denver in Denver, CO are joining together to host a community-wide international student welcome event to encourage international students from across the city to make connections, learn about resources available to them, and get to know Denver.
- Broward College in Davie, FL is bringing together immigrants, refugees, and native-born residents to play games and raise awareness of the benefits of welcoming everyone.
- Florida International University in Miami, FL is welcoming international students to the United States with an afternoon of food, conversation, and music from students' home countries.
- Agnes Scott College in Decatur, GA is hosting a meet and greet for international students to connect with President Lee Zak as part of their welcome to campus.
- Kennesaw State University in Kennesaw, GA is hosting a lecture as part of its Year of Morocco Program.
- The University of Hawaii at Hilo in Hilo, HI is hosting a reception for international students to meet their host families.
- Kirkwood Community College in Cedar Rapids, IA is hosting an Intercultural Festival with a fashion show, dancing, community speakers, reggae music, personal stories, a cricket demonstration, soccer, and more.
- The University of Kansas in Lawrence, KS is hosting an International Coffee Hour with a special presentation by the Paraguayan Student Association on their home country.
- The University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, MI is hosting events including an international student lunch conversation, an introduction to American football, and a volunteer opportunity to fight hunger. The university’s international center is also encouraging students to take a photo with the "U-M Welcomes You" sign and post it to social media with #WolverineWelcome and #GoBlueGoGlobal to welcome international students.
- The Hormel Institute at the University of Minnesota in Austin, MN is hosting an open house to tour the facility and learn about the many ways the international community strengthens the research of The Hormel Institute.
- Riverland Community College in Austin, MN is celebrating Welcoming Week with the Austin community and hosting a special presentation of students and faculty sharing their stories on the American journey.
- Gustavus Adolphus College in St. Peter, MN is welcoming international students to campus with a dinner that will include new and returning international students, U.S. multilingual students, members of the Intercultural Partners group, and staff members.
- Washington University in St. Louis in St. Louis, MO is hosting multiple events, including a photo challenge taking selfies with 'I Am a Welcomer' and '______ Welcomes You' signs at famous landmarks and neighborhoods around St. Louis to post to social media, and a panel discussion on refugee policy in the U.S.
- The University of Nebraska – Lincoln in Lincoln, NE is participating with resident student organizations hosting a Fiesta on the Green for a celebration of Latino/Hispanic culture.
- Sarah Lawrence College in Bronxville, NY is celebrating Welcoming Week with a postcard drive, encouraging elected officials to restore the number of refugees who have annually been admitted to the U.S.
- UNC Charlotte in Charlotte, NC will affirm it is a welcoming community to all nationalities at the International Festival to be held in their Student Union.
- Xavier University in Cincinnati, OH is celebrating Welcoming Week with multiple events throughout the week, including a study abroad fair, an information session for international students to learn about work requirements in the United States, and a pizza lunch for international students to learn more about U.S. culture.
- Heidelberg University in Tiffin, OH is hosting numerous events throughout Welcoming Week, including a host family meet & greet and an opportunity for international students to connect with students who have traveled abroad. Students from Heidelberg, Tiffin University, and other local schools will also march together in the local Heritage Festival Parade under the banner “We Chose Tiffin.”
- Bucknell University in Lewisburg, PA is hosting a Welcoming Week reception where they will collect items for immigrants and refugees in need while showing support for immigrants, refugees, and international students.
- Pennsylvania College of Technology in Williamsport, PA is hosting a Welcoming Week reception to welcome international students to campus.
- John Hopkins University School of Advanced International Studies in Washington, D.C. is celebrating Diversity Week to celebrate its increasingly diverse and global campus community.
- Madison College in Madison, WI is hosting a variety of events throughout Welcoming Week, including traditional Mexican dancing, a study abroad fair, and an international potluck.
- Host a volunteer or service learning project! Invite international and US students to volunteer together to encourage team building while giving back to the community.
- Invite your College President to join leaders across the country in issuing a Welcoming Week Proclamation affirming all are welcome on your campus using our template.
- Engage your student government and ask leaders to participate in the #WelcomingWeek and #IWelcome social media campaigns.
- Host a pizza dinner with international students and study abroad participants and facilitate a dialogue about their experiences landing in a new country.
- Invite your Member of Congress to your campus to speak about the importance of being a welcoming community. Use Connecting Our World’s toolkit for tips on how to invite an elected official to your institution.