The 100,000 Strong in the Americas initiative was created to increase educational exchanges in the Western Hemisphere and strengthen U.S. relations with the countries of the Americas through student mobility. The goal of 100,000 Strong in the Americas is to ensure that we are preparing youth throughout the Western Hemisphere with the cross-cultural skills necessary in the 21st century economy and a generation of leaders who can reach across borders.
To accomplish this goal, the U.S. Department of State, Partners of the Americas, and NAFSA launched the 100,000 Strong in the Americas Innovation Fund to mobilize resources and distribute challenge grants to colleges and universities to exponentially grow study abroad. We believe students are key to this connected future. Only by studying, learning, and working together can we take advantage of the growing opportunities in our Hemisphere and prosper together.
NAFSA has been involved with the 100,000 Strong in the Americas program from its initial planning phases through the most recent awarding of innovation grants. We remain committed to working with Congress and the Administration in the ongoing promotion and success of educational exchange programs in the Hemisphere.
Visit 100,000 Strong in the Americas Innovation Fund for the latest information about open and upcoming competitions.
Latest Grant Recipients
Innovation Fund Grant Competition sponsored by the Mary Street Jenkins Foundation
- Georgia Gwinnett College with Universidad Iberoamericana Mexico City
- Salem State University with Universidad de Guanajuato
- State University of New York (SUNY) Broome Community College with Universidad de Celaya
- University of Alabama with Universidad de las Américas Puebla
- University of Arkansas with Universidad Popular Autónoma del Estado de Puebla
- University of Illinois at Chicago with Instituto Nacional de Salud Pública
- University of New Mexico with Benemérita Universidad Autónoma de Puebla
- University of Northern Iowa with Universidad Marista de Mérida-Yucatán
Innovation Fund Grant Competition sponsored by National Service of Industrial Training (SENAI) and the Bureau of Western Hemisphere Affairs (WHA) at the Department of State
- The Catholic University of America with Instituto SENAI de Inovação em Microeletrônica, Universidade de São Paulo, Universidade Federal do Amazonas, and Instituto Federal do Amazonas
- Radford University with Instituto SENAI de Inovação para Tecnologia da Informação and Universidade Federal de Pernambuco
- Stillman College with Instituto SENAI de Inovação em Química Verde
- Universidad Ana G. Méndez – Recinto de Gurabo with Instituto SENAI de Inovação em Química Verde
Innovation Fund Grant Competition sponsored by ExxonMobil
- Alcorn State University with University of Guyana
- California State University - Fullerton with CETYS Universidad – Mexicali
- Northern Arizona University with Universidad Nacional de Tucumán, Universidad Nacional de Tierra del Fuego, Centro Austral de Investigaciones Científicas (CADIC), and Universidad Tecnológica de Hermosillo
- Texas A&M University with Universidad Politécnica de Yucatán
- Universidad de las Américas Puebla with Virginia Commonwealth University
- Universidad Nacional de Quilmes with Texas A&M International University
- Universidad Politécnica de Guanajuato with Texas State University and Lamar University
- Universidad Nacional de Río Negro with University of Arizona
- The University of New Mexico with Universidad de Sonora and Instituto Tecnológico de Hermosillo
- University of North Texas with Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México and Centro de Ingeniería y Desarrollo Industrial (CIDESI)
- The University of Texas at El Paso with Pontifícia Universidade Católica do Paraná
Insight on Winning Proposals
The 100,000 Strong in the Americas Innovation Fund holds open competitions for higher education institutions of all types and sizes to compete for grants. Join the 100,000 Strong in the Americas Innovation Network to be notified of all upcoming grant opportunities.