Italian flagNote: These processes are subject to change. Please visit the website of the particular consulate for information specific to that consulate.

European Union Travel Restrictions

Does the ban exempt students studying abroad?
According to the European Union "Third-country nationals travelling for the purpose of study" including those from the United States are allowed under a list of exceptions as those with an essential function or need."

However, the EU document narrowly defines "Third-country students" as “a third-country national who has been accepted by a higher education institution and is admitted to the territory of a Member State to pursue as a main activity a full-time course of study leading to a higher education qualification recognised by that Member State, including diplomas, certificates or doctoral degrees in a higher education institution, which may cover a preparatory course prior to such education, in accordance with national law, or compulsory training.”

As of this writing, the CAL Subcommittee is awaiting clarification from Italian authorities on what documentation will be accepted as proof of student status. Updates will be provided here as we are able to confirm.

Read COVID-19 Outbound Immigration Considerations

General Updates

June 2017
As of May 5, 2017, the cost of the Permit of Stay for non-European students who are studying in Italy for 3 – 12 months has been changed and is now Euro 117.96. The breakdown of this cost is:

  • 30.46€ - Cost of the electronic permit
  • 16.00€ - Stamp duty
  • 30.00€ - Post Office fee plus 1.50€ fee for payment of bulletin at the Post Office
  • 40.00€ - Permit contribution

Payment of the contribution will follow the same rules as applicable before.

February 2016
At the end of December 2015 the Italian Parliament passed the 2016 Stability Act. This act introduces a consular fee on type D Study Visa applications (study purposes over 90 days). This fee is due at the time of application and payment options may vary according to consulate. It is important to note that short term visas (type C) remain free.

November 22, 2010
U.S. citizens who study in Italy for less than 90 days do not need to apply for a student visa (as of September 1, 2010). Citizens of other countries may check with the Italian Consulate to learn if they must apply for a student visa for a program less than 90 days.

Boston Consulate
Chicago Consulate
Detroit Consulate
Houston Consulate
Los Angeles Consulate
Miami Consulate
New York Consulate
Philadelphia Consulate
San Francisco Consulate
Washington, DC Consulate


Submit a request to the Consular Affairs Liaison Subcommittee for help with U.S. student visa issues for education abroad programs.