On January 26, 2010, NAFSA submitted comments on a January 5, 2010 Department of Homeland Security "System of Records Notice" (SORN) that identifies certain fields of data that will be maintained in the SEVIS II system once it is deployed. The notice also describes the "routine uses" that the Government will make of that data.
Public comments to DHS are due on or before February 4, 2010.
NAFSA commented on the following aspects of the notice:
- The notice’s characterization of the SEVIS as a “law enforcement system”
- The expansion of routine uses of SEVIS information
- The expansion of individuals covered by the system
- The categories of records in the system and system-to-system data sharing
- Mechanisms for requesting correction of data in the system
- The nature of information provided by schools and sponsors