You are the RO or ARO for your institution’s J-1 program. A department at your institution requests a DS-2019 for an incoming scholar who will come to teach or do research.   The most appropriate category seems to be Research Scholar or Professor.   Can you issue a  DS-2019 for this person to begin a new program?   Whose responsibility is it to determine this? If it is yours, what information will you need to decide this?   How should you collect this information?   This guide is intended to help RO’s and ARO’s answer these questions.