Education Abroad Advising
e-Learning course begins April 1, register by March 30
Education abroad is an evolving field. The adviser is required to support a wide variety of student needs throughout their education abroad experience. This four-week, self-paced course guides you through the demands often faced throughout the education abroad cycle, providing you with best practices, and tools to use in your own advising practice.
Developing Short Term Education Abroad Programs
e-Learning course begins April 1, register by March 30
This four-week, self-paced course provides an overview of institutional policies and procedures that impact short-term education abroad programs, program models, preparing for emergencies, handling logistics, finances, and budgets, preparing students and faculty for the international experience, manage student support, and interaction with campus partners. Some key topics and tools covered: travel abroad costs; legal liability and risk management; a bag of marketing tricks; and predeparture orientation and preparation.
Virtual Workshop: Risk Assessment and Crisis Management
In this 4-hour workshop spread over two days, participants will explore ways to assess risk, reduce risk potential, and respond to crises more effectively. Register now.
NAFSA Advocacy Day
The global coronavirus pandemic impacted international education in significant and lasting ways. NAFSA's first-ever all virtual Advocacy Day is now sold out.
Responsible Education Abroad: Best Practices for Health, Safety, and Security
Join NAFSA and The Forum on Education Abroad to learn about the new edition of Responsible Education Abroad: Best Practices for Health, Safety, and Security. The publication was revised by a multi-organizational task force to produce current and concise best practice guidelines for health, safety, and security in education abroad. There is no cost to attend this webinar. Register with The Forum on Education Abroad.
April 29, 12:00 p.m. EDT
Peer to Peer Perspectives: Restarting Education Abroad
One of the most challenging decisions facing education abroad professionals today is when to “re-open” study abroad programs and student mobility. There is no right answer to the question of when; each institution will need to review mobility options based on established and emerging policies and parameters. Join your peers on the EAKC Subcommittee on Health and Safety for a lively discussion about the factors to consider in the return to travel abroad. To be notified when registration opens, please email the Education Abroad Knowledge Community.
May 6, 10:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. EDT
NAFSA Annual Conference & Expo
Be a part of the most diverse and comprehensive global event attended by professionals from across the field.
June 1-4, 2021
Most of the events below are available on demand. Collegial Conversations are available as transcripts to NAFSA members.
Virtual Learning Lab: Let's Talk About Race in International Education
This workshop was offered in December 2020. View upcoming workshops or contact NAFSA Professional Learning Services for questions.
Collegial Conversation: Intersection Between International Education and Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Members can view the transcript from this text based chat on the intersections of international education and diversity, equity, and inclusion.
December 18, 2020
Webinar: France Visa Updates - Study Abroad in 2021
Members of NAFSA's Consular Affairs Liaison subcommittee shared a presentation followed by Q&A.
November 10, 2020
Developing a Globally Competitive Workforce Through Study Abroad
Developing a Globally Competitive Workforce Through Study Abroad report and panel discussion.
October 27, 2020
Global Partnerships: Strategy, Action, and Innovation - Author Talk
Author talk from NAFSA's Global Partnerships book series.
October 22, 2020
Webinar: Financial Aid 2020: Review of a Year in Upheaval
NAFSA's Federal Financial Aid Subcommittee and Funding Education Abroad Subcommittee reviewed changes to financial aid granted by the U.S. Department of Education due to COVID-19, as well as the impact of the CARES Act on financial aid, and changes regarding veterans educational benefits.
October 21, 2020
Webinar: United Kingdom Student Visa Process
Members of NAFSA's Consular Affairs Liaison Subcommittee provided the latest on the U.K. student visa process.
October 1, 2020
Social Justice and International Education Book Launch
Author talk and panel discussion.
September 29, 2020
Collegial Conversation: Building Your Profile With NAFSA's IE Competencies
September 22, 2020
On-Demand e-Learning Seminars
Recordings of past e-Learning Seminars are available for purchase.
- Advising International Students on Education Abroad
- Creative and Innovative Solutions to Study Abroad Financing
- Designing Quality Academic Programs in Education Abroad
- Developing an International Internship Program
- Education Abroad Advising and Orientation for the Changing Student
- Education Abroad Research — Identify, Interpret, and Incorporate With Success
- Education Abroad Visas: Working Smarter, Not Harder
- Effective Communication and Planning with Parents
- Financing for Nontraditional Education Abroad Students
- Helping Students Translate 'Study Abroad' for the Job Search
- Interpreting and Responding to Travel Warnings in Education Abroad
- Managing Student Participation in Noncredit Programs Abroad
- Mining and Analyzing Data for Effective Education Abroad Decisionmaking
- Overcoming Obstacles in Study Abroad Financial Aid
- The One-Person International Office: Strategies and Tools for Success
- The Risk Landscape for Education Abroad
- Understanding Partnerships and Budgeting with Program Providers in Education Abroad
- Safety and Security in Education Abroad: Policies, Procedures, and Partnerships
- Student Health and Safety Abroad: Collaborations Between Staff and Faculty
- Student Learning Abroad: What Our Students Are Learning, What They’re Not, and What We Can Do About It
- Who Should You Call? Collaborations between Education Abroad and Media Relations Offices
Deepen your current skills and acquire cross-cutting functional skills as you are guided through a participatory, in-depth exploration of the following topics.