Town Hall: Public Health and International Education – What's Now and What's Next
Over the past few weeks, international educators have had to quickly adjust and shift to a different environment to support their students and scholars and manage expectations due to the impact of COVID-19. This Town Hall will feature a public health expert and an IIE researcher alongside seasoned international educators. The speakers will reflect on public health trends that affect our work, current “triage” plans, and lessons learned. They will also share their thoughts on what’s next and helpful tips on managing future change. The Town Hall will conclude with a panel discussion.
April 14, 2020
Collegial Conversation: Practical Operations in Crisis Management
What did you learn about your crisis management plan during this most recent pandemic response? Although most offices have a protocol for crisis management, it is often found lacking when put to the test. During this text-based chat, three panelists will answer questions from members about model practices for continuity of operations during a crisis. Seasoned practitioners from education abroad, international enrollment management, and international student and scholar services will draw from the recent crisis and their past experience. Collegial Conversations are a NAFSA member benefit.
April 23, 2020
Education Abroad Knowledge Community Awards
The Deadline to submit nominations for Education Abroad Knowledge Community Awards is coming up. Submit your nominations for the 2019 Annual Conference Awards ceremony at the EAKC Update Meeting on Monday May 27 at 4:30 p.m.
Deadline: May 1, 2019
Effective Student Training for Global Careers
In this NAFSA e-Learning Seminar, participants will learn strategies for delivering impactful and effective student staff training. This seminar will also provide examples of programs from international student services and education abroad offices that focus on helping them develop global leadership and intercultural competencies.
April 11, 2019
Community Members Joining Faculty Led Education Abroad Programs: Yea or Nay?
March 14, 2019
In this Collegial Conversation, the panelists will discuss the pros and cons of allowing non-students to participate in study abroad programming, as well as the importance of balancing institutional liability with the needs of the program participants, and sample practices.
Managing Education Abroad Fears with Effective Communication
January 23, 2019
In this NAFSA e-Learning Seminar, presenters will discuss managing perception versus reality, creating a proactive communication plan that addresses stakeholder concerns, and best practices for preparing your office to manage crisis communication.
Communicating Across Cultures
In the second installment of the NAFSA e-Learning Express Series, Developing Proficiency in Intercultural Communication, this 45-minute course allows participants to explore the norms of communication in various intercultural contexts. Considering the role their language plays in their work with others, participants will be able to enhance the level of support they are able to provide to those they serve.
Cross Cultural Competencies: For Managing International Partnerships
November 5, 2018
In this NAFSA e-Learning Seminar, presenters will elaborate on how to effectively use intercultural communication skills for successful partnerships and how to train staff to bring the same perspectives to their communication with partners. Presenters will also discuss best practices for cross-cultural communication.
On-Demand e-Learning Seminars
Recordings of past e-Learning Seminars are available for purchase.
- Advising International Students on Education Abroad
- Clarifying Clery: Collaborations Between Education Abroad, Risk Management, and Campus Safety Professionals
- Creative and Innovative Solutions to Study Abroad Financing
- Designing Quality Academic Programs in Education Abroad
- Developing an International Internship Program
- Education Abroad Advising and Orientation for the Changing Student
- Education Abroad Research — Identify, Interpret, and Incorporate With Success
- Education Abroad Visas: Working Smarter, Not Harder
- Effective Communication and Planning with Parents
- Financing for Nontraditional Education Abroad Students
- Helping Students Translate 'Study Abroad' for the Job Search
- Interpreting and Responding to Travel Warnings in Education Abroad
- Managing Student Participation in Noncredit Programs Abroad
- Mining and Analyzing Data for Effective Education Abroad Decisionmaking
- Overcoming Obstacles in Study Abroad Financial Aid
- The One-Person International Office: Strategies and Tools for Success
- The Risk Landscape for Education Abroad
- Understanding Partnerships and Budgeting with Program Providers in Education Abroad
- Safety and Security in Education Abroad: Policies, Procedures, and Partnerships
- Student Health and Safety Abroad: Collaborations Between Staff and Faculty
- Student Learning Abroad: What Our Students Are Learning, What They’re Not, and What We Can Do About It
- Who Should You Call? Collaborations between Education Abroad and Media Relations Offices
Education Abroad Advising
Education abroad is an evolving field. The adviser is required to support a wide variety of student needs throughout their education abroad experience. This six week, self-paced course guides you through the demands often faced throughout the education abroad cycle, providing you with best practices, and tools to use in your own advising practice.The course is offered on a monthly, rolling basis.
Mapping Short-Term Education Abroad Programs
An overview of institutional policies and procedures that impact short-term education abroad programs, program models, preparing for emergencies, handling logistics, finances and budgets, preparing students and faculty for the international experience, managing student support, and interaction with campus partners. The course is offered on a monthly, rolling basis.
Deepen your current skills and acquire cross-cutting functional skills as you are guided through a participatory, in-depth exploration of the following topics.