This NAFSA Signature Program has been cancelled out of concern for the health and safety of our attendees. Learn more about the decision to cancel this Signature Program and the NAFSA 2020 Annual Conference & Expo.
Global Learning in the Research Environment: Convergence, Innovation & Impact
NAFSA’s Global Learning Lab is a professional development program designed to build awareness and strengthen skills in advancing global learning. The 2020 Lab focuses on Global Learning in the Research Environment: Convergence, Innovation & Impact. Participants will work with experts, and with colleagues from around the world to explore how global learning is essential to the creation of innovative research and new knowledge that address complex, local and global problems.
This Signature Program will provide international educators, scholar-practitioners, and administrators with practical strategies based on real-life examples for developing global competencies, in the classroom, across campus, and in research that address global issues and creates new knowledge.
All disciplines, institutional types, and sectors of higher education have a responsibility to build global competencies in students to address complex global issues in locally-appropriate ways. This is done through the integration of global learning opportunities into curriculum, across programming, and through research design.
Experts will illustrate how global learning is essential to develop innovative research that addresses complex, interconnected problems, and that leads to new knowledge providing positive, and locally-appropriate impacts.
Through the lab format, participants will work with experts and colleagues from around the world to:
- discuss and analyze approaches to working with students, faculty, and staff across disciplines and across sectors;
- explore strategies to integrate global learning into curriculum, across programming, and into research design;
- examine how global competencies highlight new modes of assessing and solving global issues, and how such competencies can raise new questions for research;
- develop strategic action plans to integrate global learning into research design, courses, programs, and across campuses.
What is Convergence Research?
The National Science Foundation (NSF) explains that Convergence Research “is a means of solving vexing research problems, in particular, complex problems focusing on societal needs. It entails integrating knowledge, methods, and expertise from different disciplines and forming novel frameworks to catalyze scientific discovery and innovation.”
What You Will Gain from Participating
- Strategies to integrate global learning into research design, and the development of global competencies in courses and programs in support of this integration;
- Examples of desired student outcomes for intercultural and global learning;
- Insights to engage faculty and administrators in internationalization and promote global learning strategically across disciplines, across programs, and across campuses;
- Knowledge and understanding of best practices to prepare students with essential intercultural and global learning competencies to address complex, interconnected problems through research.
- Highlight the urgency and benefits of global learning integration into research design;
- Explain global learning definition(s) and components to build awareness and establish acceptance;
- Promote interdisciplinary, convergence research and international partnerships through the lens of global learning;
- Identify tools to assess global learning outcomes and student outcomes;
- Encourage the integration of global learning into programming and research design using practical strategies and tools;
- Develop a strategic global learning integration action plan to facilitate the development of global competencies into research design, and into courses, programs, and campuses facilitating development of innovative knowledge.
NAFSA thanks Webster University for its generous support of this event!