Committee on Immigration Policy & Practice Regional Representatives - INS Reinstatement Procedures
Memphis District Reinstatement Procedure
U.S. Department of Justice
Immigration and Naturalization Service
1341 Sycamore View Rd., Suite 100
Memphis, TN 38134
Subject: ATTACHMENTS TO REINSTATEMENT APPLICATIONS
Please include the following documents with all reinstatement applications:
- I-539 Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status (fee included)
- New SEVIS I-20 issued for reinstatement.
- Copies of any previous I-20(s) from all schools attended. (though not needed all the time, they assist in the adjudication of the application when determining if the student has been reinstated in the past or may have previously violated the terms of their student status).
- Financial statement or letter of support indicating they have funds available to support the cost of their education.
- Original I-94 issued upon their last arrival in the United States.
- Letter from the student explaining why they failed to maintain status.
- Letter of support from a school official or any other concerned individual that might help explain the circumstances that led to the student failing to maintain status.
- Letters from a Medical Practitioner when a student was ill or unable to attend class.
- Copies of transcripts from all schools attended in the U.S. (may not be needed to adjudicate the application but will indicate if the student has ever failed to maintain status).
Restating the need for items three and nine, they may not be necessary to reach a decision on the reinstatement application, but will be requested if there is a possibility of a previous violation. Most of the applications have the majority of the items above but the one item that is lacking most often is the I-94. Please feel free to contact us at 901- 344-2300 between the hours of 4:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m., Monday to Saturday. On Sunday the hours are from 12:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. You can leave a message at any other time. The fax number is 901-344-2469.
NOTE from CIPP-RR: mark envelope REINSTATEMENT when mailing to Memphis INS.
Miami District Reinstatement Procedure
Student School Officer
Miami District Office
7880 Biscayne Blvd.
Miami, FL 33138
Send the following documents for reinstatement applications:
- Money Order or Cashier's check (No personal checks accepted) for $120
- Letter requesting reinstatement
- New SEVIS I-20 marked for reinstatement
- New funding documents
- Copies of all I-20s used
- Copies of all transcripts
- Copy of passport including visa page
- Original I-94
Applicants receive an acknowledgement letter stating reinstatement can take up to 1 year. However it's been taking less longer. Mr. Navarro will also try to expedite applications during the term a student expects to graduate. Unauthorized employment is automatic grounds for denial of reinstatement.
(submitted by Ana Sippin, Region VII CIPP-RR 2)