On May 23, 2008, NAFSA submitted a comment letter regarding the April 8 interim final rule, “Extending Period of Optional Practical Training by 17 Months for F-1 Nonimmigrant Students With STEM Degrees and Expanding Cap-Gap Relief for All F-1 Students With Pending H-1B Petitions.” NAFSA members are encouraged to submit individualized comments on the interim final rule, using the posted comment letter as guidance.
Suggested Topics to Cover in Your Comment Letter
- Expanding the list of STEM degrees.
- Eliminating the E-verify requirement.
- Urge DHS to better utilize its own database instead of putting more responsibilities on the schools.
- Urge DHS to eliminate the new requirement that schools report the international students’ employer information by instead requiring the employer or the student to report it.
- Explain that the rule is a case study in the day-to-day impact of a lack of an international education policy for the United States. An important public policy change –expanding the ability of students to work in the United States after graduation – is not the place to tack on new restrictions that negatively impact international education.