The NAFSA Education Abroad Knowledge Community Health and Safety Subcommittee is charged with providing information, tools and resources to help constituents improve their knowledge of health and safety issues impacting our field today.
The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act (20 USC § 1092(f)) requires U.S. colleges and universities who participate in Title IV federal student financial aid programs to disclose information about crime on and around their campuses, or in off-campus facilities as described by the Act. The 2011 Handbook for Campus Safety and Security Reporting (95kb ), released in February, contained more detailed guidelines for reporting incidents and crimes that occur on study abroad programs.
To better serve our constituents, the subcommittee has produced a white paper describing how the Clery Act may apply to study abroad programs. As this matter is still being reviewed by higher education legal experts, we do not make any definitive claims about how institutions should meet Clery reporting requirements. The purpose of this document is to provide background information to assist education abroad administrations in having productive conversations with campus personnel charged with maintain Clery statistics.
- Julie Anne Friend, Chair, NAFSA Health & Safety Subcommittee and International Analyst for Travel Health, Safety & Security, Michigan State University
- Joanna Holvey-Bowles, Executive Vice President and COO, Institute for Study Abroad, Butler University
- Carl Herrin, Senior Partner, Global Education Solutions LLC
- Maureen Powers, Consultant, The Presidents’ Network, Executive Educational Consultant
- Stacey Tsantir, Director of International Health, Safety and Compliance, Dean's Office /Global Programs and Strategy Alliance, University of Minnesota
- Inés DeRomaña, Principal Analyst, Health, Safety and Emergency Response, Education Abroad Program, The University of California
Please contact the following individuals with questions or comments:
- Stacey Tsantir - stsantir[at]umn.edu, NAFSA KC Health and Safety Subcommittee Chair,
- Landes Holbrook - landes_holbrook[at]byu.edu, NAFSA KC Health and Safety Subcommittee Vice Chair,
As always, we encourage you to reach out to members of the subcommittee in your region, whether to seek advice on health or safety concern in your organization or to suggest subjects for future publications or sessions/workshops. We hope to see many of you at the upcoming regional NAFSA conferences!