NAFSA's eleven regions welcome you to join us at the NAFSA All-Region Summit, a special virtual conference held October 4 - 22, 2021. Participants gain access to live and on-demand region-specific content, as well as shared activities and events. This first-ever combined regional event will provide participants with new learning, networking, and engagement opportunities.
Conference Chair Position Description
Term: January 1 - December (preceded by one year term as conference chair-elect)
Appointment: By chair stream
Qualifications: NAFSA member working in the area of international education
The Regional conference chair will work closely primarily with the conference chair, but also the regional chair stream and the regional team to plan, organize, and implement the annual regional conference.
General responsibilities include:
- Work closely with the Regional chair in the planning and implementation of the regional conference.
- Participate in regional team meetings to represent conference planning interests and to keep the Chair informed of planning, issues and activities relating to the annual regional conference.
- Attend and participate in the following events (costs covered by region and or National)
- the NAFSA WLM meeting
- the Region XI Annual Conference
- Region XI Leadership Team meetings
- the NAFSA WLM meeting
- Attend if possible the Annual NAFSA National Conference (costs not covered)
- Ensure payments are requested from the Treasurer for appropriate invoices in a timely fashion, after the Chair Stream has approved the payments
- Assist the Chair in identifying potential candidates for the position of conference chair-elect for the next term.
Specific conference duties will include:
- Assisting the team in determining appropriate venues for future years’ conferences
- Ensuring the current year’s hotel contract (as arranged by NAFSA Headquarters) and conf. insurance policies are in place
- Coordinating Team sub-committees on conference planning, including Exhibitors, Publications, Job Registry
- Updating the region, through the region’s website and list-serv on the upcoming conference information and registration materials
- Soliciting session proposals from regional members and colleagues
- Arranging the schedule of sessions selected by the Team, including rooms and AV/tech needs
- Editing and posting the conference registration sheet and hotel reservation information on the regional website, and notifying the region through the list-serv
- Serve as the principal contact for Palisades, and for Conference registration issues
- Serve as principal trouble-shooter and problem-solver for conference attendees, presenters and exhibitors
- Serve as principal contact with the hotel conference representative
- Communicating and coordinating with the Local Arrangements Committee from the hosting State, to ensure the managing, distribution and collection of session evaluation forms; set-up and implementation of the hospitality table; local restaurant hops; travel and tourism information on the local area and attractions; local directions and transportation info.
- Write up the post-conference report and submit to NAFSA Headquarters within three weeks following the end of the fall conference
- Maintaining records, including the conference training manual
- Assist in the training of the conference chair elect.