Become a NAFSA Leader
NAFSA depends on the participation of its members for leadership at all levels. Serving in a leadership capacity for the association offers a unique opportunity for personal and professional growth. Leadership positions in NAFSA are filled by matching member and non-member skills and experience with the appropriate leadership roles. NAFSA welcomes applications from members and non-members who represent the wide spectrum of international educators. Participation from underrepresented groups, individuals, institutions as well as colleagues outside of the United States is also appreciated. The association is committed to creating an engaging, accessible, and collaborative environment for NAFSA member leaders and the projects generated in partnership with NAFSA staff.
Benefits of Becoming a NAFSA Leader
- Network with peers at other organizations.
- Serve as a mentor to others.
- Gain visibility on your own campus.
- Build your resume by enhancing your strengths or skills in management, leadership, advocacy, policy, training, coaching, mentoring, strategy, your professional interests, and many other areas.
- Expand your brand within the profession via leadership training throughout the year.
- Enhance the visibility of your campus or organization.
- Assist with the implementation of the NAFSA strategic plan.
- Receive appreciation and recognition as a volunteer and leader.
- Access early or complimentary registration for some leadership meetings and events.
Volunteer leader positions are either elected or appointed. More information about this can be found in the association’s Standing Rules .
- Review the position descriptions of current open positions.
- Complete a volunteer application form or nominate a colleauge for an appropriate position.
- After the deadline to submit an application, a member-leader will review the application and/or contact you to follow up on your application.