Join a NAFSA Leadership Team
NAFSA’s impact as an association depends on the engagement of its members leading at all levels. Serving in a leadership capacity for the association offers a unique opportunity for personal and professional growth. Leadership positions in NAFSA are filled by matching member and non-member skills and experience with the appropriate leadership roles. There are opportunities of varying commitment levels with some being more visible while others are more behind-the-scenes.
NAFSA welcomes applications from members and non-members who represent the wide spectrum of international educators. Participation from underrepresented groups, individuals, institutions as well as colleagues outside of the United States is also appreciated. When you decide to become a NAFSA leader, you will receive guidance and support along your journey. Therefore, the association is committed to creating an engaging, accessible, and collaborative environment for NAFSA member-leaders and the projects generated in partnership with NAFSA staff.
The Benefits of NAFSA Leadership
Becoming a leader in NAFSA provides you with multiple benefits that enable you to stretch yourself professionally and prepare for your next position. These are only a few aspects of the awarding experience you will receive:
- Improve transferable skills, including strategic thinking, teamwork, project management, problem solving, decision making, presenting and research
- Increase your personal visibility and recognition within your institution
- Increase the visibility of your institution or organization
- Expand your personal brand as a thought leader
- Build resourceful and supportive relationships with other NAFSA leaders
- Network and collaborate with high-level professionals
- Connect to the broader international education conversation
- Receive early access to information, including leader-only resources
- Boost your resume and LinkedIn profile with an impressive leadership position in the world's largest nonprofit association dedicated to international education and exchange
Volunteer leader positions are either elected or appointed. More information about this can be found in the association’s Standing Rules .
- Review the position descriptions of current open positions.
- Complete a volunteer application form or nominate a colleague for an appropriate position.
- After the deadline to submit an application, a member-leader will review the application and/or contact you to follow up on your application.