About Region VIII
NAFSA Region VIII is one of NAFSA's 11 geographic regions. Each region is governed by an elected chair and a team of representatives from the various NAFSA professional sections and educator groups.
Want to learn more about Region VIII? Have a specific question for someone on the team? Meet the Region VIII Leadership Team.
Region VIII is accepting applications for open positions. See our list of open positions here.
Various networking groups throughout Region VIII provide local resources and support. Formal and informal networking opportunities are available throughout the year, including conference events and no-host happy hours.
NAFSA Region VIII Mentor Program
Now in its seventh year, around 250 members of NAFSA Region VIII have participated in the Region VIII Mentor program. The regional team is committed to connecting members of the region on an annual basis in a formal mentor-mentee pairing for eight months.
Interested in learning more about the Region VIII Mentor Program? Please visit our mentorship webpage.
Every year at our region's annual conference, we recognize individuals who are making significant contributions to the field of international education and exchange. We welcome nominations for both of our regional awards throughout the year. Nominations are now open through October 14, 2022. To submit a nomination, please use the forms linked below:
- Submit a nomination for the Outstanding Contribution to Region VIII Award
- Submit a nomination for the Region VIII Rising Star Award
Outstanding Contribution to Region VIII
This award recognizes an individual who has been a mentor in the field, and who has contributed in tangible ways at the regional and/or national levels to further international exchange and competencies. Nominees must have been active members in Region VIII for at least 5 years and must have been in the field of international education for at least 10 years.
Criteria for selection include:
- The nominee has been an active member in Region 8 for at least 5 years and served in the field of international education for at least 10 years, as indicated with a résumé or c.v. submitted with the nomination. The nominee does not need to be a current NAFSA member.
- The nominee has been engaged with NAFSA on the local, regional, or national levels through volunteering, presenting at conferences, etc.
- The nominee has made significant contributions to the field of international education in a variety of ways, such as resource development, training, advocacy, mentoring, justice, equity, diversity, inclusion, etc.
Region VIII Rising Star Award
This award recognizes the accomplishments of someone who has been in the field five years or less; has demonstrated commitment through professional or volunteer activities; and may be active at the regional or national level. This person's approach and leadership have the potential for substantial and lasting influence on international education.
Criteria for selection include:
- The nominee has served in their present area of expertise/specialization no more than 5 years, as indicated with a résumé or c.v. submitted with the nomination. The nominee does not need to be a current NAFSA member.
- The nominee shows passion and has made significant contributions to their department, unit, institution, organization, to the NAFSA community, and/or to the field of international education by engaging in activities such as:
- Organizing or lead activity or range of activities or services within their organization that promotes international education
- Demonstrating innovation in their area of specialization
- Presenting at conferences and/or have engaged in publications of their work
- Contributing to international education as a volunteer leader
- The nominee shows promise in making further contributions to the field of international education as a leader.
Grants and Scholarships
Region VIII awards travel grants to help offset the costs of attending the annual regional conference and Advocacy Day. Grants typically cover registration fees, accommodations, and/or travel expenses. Apply today!