Collection of Personal Information
Through your interactions with NAFSA, NAFSA collects “personal information,” which is information that identifies an individual or relates to an identified individual. Non-personal information means information that does not directly identify an individual. We collect both types of information about you.
The following provides some examples of the type of data that we collect from you:
|Context||Types of Data and Purpose for Collection|
|Registration Information||When you create an Account, we may collect your name, contact information, and other Registration Information. Such information shall be associated with your Account, and you may update such information by editing the information associated with your Account.|
|Demographic Information||We may collect personal information from you, such as your photo or location.|
|Digital Fingerprinting||We may from time to time use digital fingerprinting technologies in an effort to protect and ensure the integrity of our Platform. In general, digital fingerprinting technologies assign a unique identifier or “Machine-ID” to a user’s computer to identify and track the computer’s survey activity. NAFSA will not use digital fingerprinting technology to collect personal information or track the online activities of the user of a computer and will not disrupt or interfere with the use or control of a computer or alter, modify, or change the settings or functionality of a computer. The technology will analyze publicly available information and data obtained from the computer’s web browser and from other publicly available data points, including without limitation the technical settings of the computer, the characteristics of the computer, and the computer’s Internet Protocol (IP) address, to create a unique identifier assigned to the computer. The unique identifiers are typically alpha-numeric IDs and after creating the unique identifier, NAFSA does not retain the information analyzed by the technology to create the unique identifier.|
|Geo-Location Information||When you use one of our Applications or a badge or device provided by NAFSA, we may collect your location using GPS, Wi-Fi, cellular technology, radio-frequency identification (RFID), Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) beacon technology, or other similar location-tracking technologies. NAFSA may capture proximity and duration information for providing personalized products and services, demographic analysis, or behavioral analysis. Such information, and any derived information, may be shared with third parties that have a relationship with NAFSA.|
|E-mail Interconnectivity||If you receive e-mail from us, we may use certain tools to capture data related to when you open our message, click on any links or banners it contains and make purchases.|
|Employment||If you apply for a job posting, or become an employee, we may collect personal information necessary to process your application. This may include, among other things, your Social Security Number or tax identification number.|
|Feedback/Support||If you provide us feedback or contact us for support we will collect your name and e-mail address and possibly other personal information, as well as any other content that you send to us in order to reply.|
|Mailing List||When you sign up for one of our mailing lists we may collect your e-mail address or postal address.|
|Market Research Studies||We perform marketing research studies to collect data for research purposes. The information you provide is used for research analysis and we analyze the answers in aggregate. Information you provide in response to or in connection with a market research study is and will be provided to our clients or other entities or the public as part of cumulative market research information or statistical data in the ordinary course, but without identifying you individually, directly or indirectly.|
|Mobile Devices||We may collect information from your mobile device such as unique identifying information broadcast from your device or hardware and software specifications.|
|Order Placement||We may collect your name, billing address, shipping address, e-mail address, phone number, shipping preferences, and credit card number when you place an order.|
In addition to the information that we collect from you directly, we may also receive information about you from other sources, including third parties, business partners, our affiliates, or publicly available sources.
Use of Personal Information
In addition to the uses described above, NAFSA uses the personal information collected in an effort to improve your experience, to provide services to you, and to communicate with you about information that you request. NAFSA may also use personal information to help target specific offers to you and to help NAFSA develop and improve its services. Additionally, NAFSA may use your personal information:
- To identify you when you access and use any Sites or Applications.
- To administer Accounts.
- To provide services and content to our clients.
- To provide you with products and services you request, or that maybe be of interest to you.
- To streamline your checkout process.
- To send marketing and promotional materials, including information relating to products, services, sales, or promotions.
- To respond to your inquiries related to support, employment opportunities, or other requests.
- To conduct research and analysis.
- For internal administrative purposes, as well as to manage our relationship with you.
Sharing of Personal Information
- Other Disclosures with Your Consent. We may ask if you would like us to share your information with other unaffiliated third parties who are not described elsewhere in this policy, and we may do so with your consent.
- Public. Some of our Sites or Applications provide the opportunity to post comments, or reviews, in a public forum. If you decide to submit information at these locations, that information may be publicly available.
- Service Providers. We may share your personal information with service providers. Among other things service providers may help us to administer our website, plan or facilitate events or travel, conduct surveys, provide technical support, place third party advertisements on our website, or sending marketing, promotions, and communications related to our business, payment processing, and for other legitimate purposes permitted by law.
Security of Personal Information
NAFSA has implemented reasonable and appropriate security measures to help protect the personal information NAFSA collects from loss, misuse, unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction. Although NAFSA attempts to protect the personal information in its possession, no security system is perfect, and NAFSA cannot promise that your personal information will remain absolutely secure in all circumstances.
Retention of Personal Information
NAFSA will retain your personal information as needed to fulfill the purposes for which it was collected. NAFSA will retain and use your personal information as necessary to comply with NAFSA’s business requirements, legal obligations, resolve disputes, protect our assets, and enforce our agreements.
Data Integrity and Purpose Limitation
NAFSA limits the use of personal information to ways that are compatible and relevant to the purposes for which the personal information was collected or subsequently authorized or for which consent was obtained. NAFSA will take reasonable steps to ensure that personal information is reliable for its intended use, accurate, complete, and current.
You can make the following choices regarding your personal information by logging into the Communication Preferences section in My NAFSA in your NAFSA account:
- Electronic and Print Communications. You may choose to consent to allowing us to send free NAFSA-specific newsletters, surveys, offers, and other promotional materials to you.
- Third-Party Communications. You may choose to consent for the purpose of allowing targeted offers from third parties or NAFSA’s clients or business partners. At any time, you can stop receiving promotional e-mails by updating your communications preference or by following the unsubscribe instructions in e-mails that you receive. Clicking on an unsubscribe link will take you to a webpage where you can complete the opt-out process. Certain programs will provide a contact for support or other means to remove your name to remove your name from our contact list. If you decide not to receive promotional e-mails, we may still send you transactional communications, such as those about your Account, to fulfill orders you have made, to ask you to rate a product you purchased, event you attended, or other service-related communications.
- Changes to Your Personal Information. We rely on you to update and correct your personal information. Note that we may keep historical information in our backup files as permitted by law. All requests to correct your information must be directed to the contact in the “Communications” section below.
- Access to Your Personal Information. If required by law (for example, the European Union General Data Protection Regulation), upon request, we will grant reasonable access to the personal information that we hold about a User. All requests must be directed to the contact in the “Communications” section below.
- Revocation of Consent. We rely on the processing of personal information that you have provided. If you revoke your consent for the processing of personal information, then we may no longer be able to provide you services. In some cases, we may limit or deny your request to revoke consent if the law permits or requires us to do so, or if we are unable to adequately verify your identity.
- European Economic Area Citizens. Where you believe that we have not processed your personal information in accordance with the applicable provisions of the European Union General Data Protection Regulation, you may lodge a complaint with the respective European Union data protection authority (DPA).
Cross-border Transfer of Personal Information
NAFSA commits to cooperate with European Union data protection authorities (DPAs) and comply with the advice given by such authorities with regard to human resources data transferred from the European Union in the context of the employment relationship.
Questions, concerns, or complaints should be directed to our data protection team as follows:
- By phone: +1-202-737-3699
- By email
If NAFSA is required to contact you about your personal information we may do so by mail, phone, or e-mail.
Effective as of May 25, 2018.