Committee: International Education Leadership Knowledge Community (IEL KC)
Position: Member, Focus on Conferences and Training and Annual Conference Committee Coordinator (ACCC)
Term Dates: Two-year term, renewable for one term (maximum of 4 years)
The International Education Leadership Knowledge Community (IEL KC) supports and addresses the needs of new and experienced senior international officers (SIOs) and other international education leaders who provide the vision and build commitment for comprehensive internationalization.
The Annual Conference Committee (ACC) Content Team focuses on planning and supervising the creation of the Annual Conference program following Board guidelines and the NAFSA Strategic Plan, planning future conferences based on the results of conference evaluations, and attending to the needs of participants from underrepresented constituencies (e.g., those based outside the United States, those at community colleges, etc.).
This position serves as one of five coordinators appointed to represent their respective KCs on the ACC Content Team and participates in the creation of the professional development sessions and workshops for the Annual Conference. As a member of the IEL KC team, this position assists in the development of conference programming to support the needs of SIOs.
Position updated July 2017
Applications are not currently being accepted.
- Confirm IEL KC priorities for conference content with the IEL KC team, building from work plans and retreat reports.
- Represent the IEL KC on the Annual Conference Committee Content Team.
- Solicit and review proposals for sessions, workshops, and posters that advance knowledge and skill-building for the field and fit the conference theme, Board directives, and the NAFSA Strategic Plan.
- Recruit and lead a team of skilled volunteer reviewers and manage the review process and rating of session and workshop proposals.
- Following ACC chair instructions, propose a ranked set of sessions and workshops that best address IEL KC priorities and best serve the IEL KC audience.
- Collaborate with other ACC Content Team members to create a balanced and comprehensive set of sessions and workshops that fit the conference theme and desired topic areas to serve the entire conference audience.
- Review session handouts to determine if any would be good additions to the IEL KC’s Leading Internationalization network resources.
- Solicit ideas for possible expert speakers for the IEL KC audience.
- Lend a critical eye to the needs of SIOs and leaders in internationalization in other aspects of the NAFSA Annual Conference & Expo, such as evaluating the effectiveness of Networking Center meetings, the IEL KC Update Meeting, etc.
- Ensure that the IEL KC conference offerings meet the needs of SIOs from all institution types, including community colleges, liberal arts colleges, minority-serving institutions, research institutions, comprehensive institutions, and those based outside of the United States.
- Along with the other team members, represent the IEL KC team at the NAFSA Annual Conference & Expo by facilitating events such as Networking Center meetings and by participating in the IEL KC Update Meeting.
- Encourage new and experienced SIOs to get involved with the IEL KC.
- Work on other IEL KC team projects as needed.
All NAFSA leaders are expected to foster an inclusive environment and seek to learn and understand the multicultural perspectives of the committee/team, our constituents, and stakeholders to align with the NAFSA Diversity and Inclusion Statement. An expression of leadership in this area includes:
- Engaging the committee/team to identify and implement strategies for increased personal outreach, recruitment, and onboarding for all, especially diversity-focused and underrepresented groups
- Increasing accessibility and participation from underrepresented groups, individuals, and institutions
- Expanding educational content within the committees’ purview through intentional outreach and recruitment of diverse presenters and institutional types in partnership with various NAFSA groups
NAFSA: Association of International Educators is a professional association driven by its Strategic Plan as established by the Board of Directors. The success of the association depends on the productive engagement of three key constituencies: the Board, member-leaders, and staff. Member-leaders are advocates for the association’s mission, vision, values, diversity and inclusion, and ethical principles. They align their work closely with the Board through its vice presidents and with staff to carry out the Strategic Plan. Member-leader roles are guided by objectives assigned by the Strategic Plan, by outcome accountabilities outlined in the Standing Rules, and by position descriptions for specific roles.
- This position will communicate regularly with the IEL KC team to ensure high-quality offerings are provided for the IEL KC audience throughout the NAFSA Annual Conference & Expo.
- This position works closely with the senior director and associate director of NAFSA’s Internationalization Services Department, as well as with the Conference Program staff and ACC Content Team.
- Participation in monthly conference calls and e-mail communication with Annual Conference Committee and Conference Program staff.
- 1-2 hours per week. Busiest time in the summer and fall, especially with proposal reviews in August and September.
- Participation in conference calls and e-mail communication with IEL KC leadership and staff.
- Preparation for and attendance at the Washington Leadership Meeting (WLM) in late January (travel and per diem provided by NAFSA).
- Preparation for and attendance at pre- and post-conference meetings at the NAFSA Annual Conference & Expo in late May (complimentary registration for the 2018 and 2019 conference).
- Preparation for and attendance at Annual Conference Committee meeting in September/October (travel and per diem provided by NAFSA).
- Current NAFSA membership throughout the length of volunteer service is appreciated.
- Experience as an SIO or international education leader.
- Knowledge of existing IEL KC programs.
- Enthusiasm and ability for mobilizing colleagues to develop strong session and workshop proposals.
- Strategic planning experience.
- Ability to work effectively with a team in an outcomes-based environment.
- Prior attendance at three or more NAFSA Annual Conferences.
- Prior experience as a proposal reviewer is helpful, but not required.
- Demonstrated skill in leading a committee and managing committee work.
- Ability to make two-year commitment.
- Excellent communication and leadership skills.