Committee: Knowledge Community for International Student and Scholar Services (KC ISSS)
Position: Regional Liaison Coordinator
Term Dates: Two-year term, renewable for one additional term
The Regional Liaison Coordinator provides a central point of contact between KC ISSS and ISSS regional liaisons appointed by NAFSA regional teams to focus on ISSS-related issues. The position is responsible for facilitating two-way communication and support for the ISSS community at the national and regional levels, keeping the KC ISSS team and ISSS regional liaisons aware of one another’s needs and offerings, and participating in and monitoring ongoing, community-wide discussions in the various ISSS areas.
Position updated June 2019
NAFSA is not currently accepting applications for this position
- Work with the KC ISSS team and KC ISSS regional liaisons to identify member issues and concerns and act as a conduit of information and support.
- Stimulate a two-way flow of information between the KC, regional team, and state representatives as it relates to timely, relevant information and resources.
- Encourage regional liaison and team participation in dissemination of information and member-to-member support through networking, workplan items, discussion forums, conference sessions and activities, and other appropriate venues.
- Disseminate ISSS news to KC ISSS regional liaisons and communicate on regional/local listservs, social media, and during regional and local conferences.
- Contribute to the determination of medium- and long-term professional development needs for the ISSS community with special attention to regional voices.
- Identify and cultivate future national and regional leaders from within the ISSS community.
- In accordance with member needs and the Strategic Plan, make recommendations for consideration for the annual KC ISSS Work Plan.
- Conduct orientation for new regional liaisons and works closely with KC ISSS chair stream, NAFSA staff, and regional chairs on appointment of regional liaisons as rotation occurs.
- Lead quarterly regional liaison calls, attend quarterly KC ISSS calls, and, when needed, participate in additional calls, as determined by chair.
- Represent KC ISSS at annual conference activities (KC ISSS Reception, KC ISSS Update, Connector Program, Networking Center) and perform rotational committee duties as needed by chair.
- Review annual conference proposals for ISSS-related submissions.
All NAFSA leaders are expected to foster an inclusive environment and seek to learn and understand the multicultural perspectives of the committee/team, our constituents, and stakeholders to align with the NAFSA Diversity and Inclusion Statement. An expression of leadership in this area includes:
- Engaging the committee/team to identify and implement strategies for increased personal outreach, recruitment, and onboarding for all, especially diversity-focused and underrepresented groups
- Increasing accessibility and participation from underrepresented groups, individuals, and institutions
- Expanding educational content within the committees’ purview through intentional outreach and recruitment of diverse presenters and institutional types in partnership with various NAFSA groups
NAFSA: Association of International Educators is a professional association driven by its Strategic Plan as established by the Board of Directors. The success of the association depends on the productive engagement of three key constituencies: the Board, member-leaders, and staff. Member-leaders are advocates for the association’s mission, vision, values, diversity and inclusion, and ethical principles. They align their work closely with the Board through its vice presidents and with staff to carry out the Strategic Plan. Member-leader roles are guided by objectives assigned by the Strategic Plan, by outcome accountabilities outlined in the Standing Rules, and by position descriptions for specific roles.
- This position collaborates closely with other NAFSA leaders to enhance work efforts across the association.
- This position partners closely with the NAFSA staff partner assigned. Effective relationships reflect and include responsiveness to phone calls/e-mail correspondence, timely delivery on responsibilities, open communication and mutual respect among other characteristics.
- The estimated time commitment is 4 to 6 hours per month to participate in position responsibilities.
- Participate in the Washington Leadership Meetings (WLMs) in January 2020 and 2021. (Funding for WLM is provided by NAFSA.)
- Prepare for and attends preconference meetings at the NAFSA annual conferences in late May 2020 and 2021.
- Current NAFSA membership throughout length of the leadership term
- Previous member-leader volunteer experience with NAFSA at the regional level preferred
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience working in the ISSS field
- Ability to effectively lead and support a team of 11 member-leader volunteers in an outcomes-based environment through calls and in-person meetings
- Strong leadership skills in communication, organization, and project management, with an interest in team work and collaboration
- Willingness to adopt organizationwide perspectives and KC ISSS strategic priorities
- Willingness to adopt association priorities and perspectives on volunteer development and management
- High strategic planning, management, networking, and delegation experience
- Strong coordination, analytical, oral, and written communication skills
- Ability to work effectively with a team and with NAFSA staff in an outcomes-based environment
- Commitment to access and respond to emails in a timely fashion and communicate using online electronic tools/systems in an online workspace
- Willingness and ability to travel for participation and representation at NAFSA meetings
- Ability to manage unconscious bias in the assessment and decisionmaking processes
- Recognition by peers for being energetic, innovative, and visionary
- Ability to meet the volunteer commitment outlined and planning calendar deadlines
- Institutional support for this volunteer commitment