Committee: International Enrollment Management Knowledge Community (IEM KC)
Position: Regional Liaison Outreach Coordinator
Term Dates: Two-year term, renewable for one term (maximum of 4 years)
The International Enrollment Management Knowledge Community (IEM KC) provides professional development opportunities, programs, and resources for those in the fields of admissions, credential evaluation, marketing and recruitment, overseas educational advising, intensive English programs, and sponsored program administration. The regional liaison outreach coordinator provides a central point of contact between the IEM KC and individuals appointed by NAFSA regional teams to focus on IEM-related issues (IEM regional liaisons). The position is responsible for facilitating two-way communication and support for the IEM community at the national and regional levels, keeping the IEM KC team and IEM regional liaisons aware of one another’s needs and offerings, as well as participating in and monitoring ongoing, community-wide discussions in the various IEM areas.
Position updated June 2018
Applications are not currently being accepted.
- Work with IEM KC team and IEM regional liaisons identify member issues and concerns and act as a conduit of information and support.
- Stimulate a two-way flow of information between IEM KC, regional team, and state representatives as it relates to timely/relevant information and resources.
- Ensure dissemination of IEM news to the regional liaisons so that these are communicated on the regional/local listservs, through social media, and during regional/local conferences.
- Actively encourage regional liaison and team participation in the dissemination of information and memberto-member support through networking, discussion forums, conference sessions and activities, and other appropriate venues.
- Participate in the determination of medium- and longer-term professional development needs for the IEM community, with special attention to regional voices.
- Host meeting for regional liaisons at the annual conference to discuss trends, needs, and issues, and facilitate communication.
- Work with the IEM chair to identify future national and regional leaders from within the IEM community.
- In accordance with member needs and NAFSA’s Strategic Plan, make recommendations for consideration for the annual IEM work plan.
- Coordinate and deliver the annual IEM regional liaison virtual orientation
- Lead and manage the IEM Connector Program for newcomers at the annual conference.
All NAFSA leaders are expected to foster an inclusive environment and seek to learn and understand the multicultural perspectives of the committee/team, our constituents, and stakeholders to align with the NAFSA Diversity and Inclusion Statement. An expression of leadership in this area includes:
- Engaging the committee/team to identify and implement strategies for increased personal outreach, recruitment, and onboarding for all, especially diversity-focused and underrepresented groups
- Increasing accessibility and participation from underrepresented groups, individuals, and institutions
- Expanding educational content within the committees’ purview through intentional outreach and recruitment of diverse presenters and institutional types in partnership with various NAFSA groups
NAFSA: Association of International Educators is a professional association driven by its Strategic Plan as established by the Board of Directors. The success of the association depends on the productive engagement of three key constituencies: the Board, member-leaders, and staff. Member-leaders are advocates for the association’s mission, vision, values, diversity and inclusion, and ethical principles. They align their work closely with the Board through its vice presidents and with staff to carry out the Strategic Plan. Member-leader roles are guided by objectives assigned by the Strategic Plan, by outcome accountabilities outlined in the Standing Rules, and by position descriptions for specific roles.
- This position collaborates closely with other NAFSA leaders to enhance work efforts across the association.
- This position partners closely with the NAFSA staff partner assigned. Effective relationships reflect and include responsiveness to phone calls/e-mail correspondence, timely delivery of responsibilities, open communication and mutual respect among other characteristics.
This is a two-year term, renewable once for a maximum term of four years. The estimated time commitment is approximately four to six hours per month on various tasks, including outreach and engagement with NAFSAns, posts to NAFSA discussion forums and regional listservs, assistance in the deliverables with annual work plan, email communication, preparation for annual conference activities, participation in leadership cultivation, and other duties as assigned by chair. Includes:
- Organize and lead quarterly conference calls for IEM KC regional liaisons.
- Participate in bi-monthly conference calls with the IEM KC team.
- Participate in IEM KC team meetings at the Washington Leadership Meeting in January (participation is funded by NAFSA).
- Attend NAFSA’s annual conference each May and participate in the IEM KC team meetings at the annual conference, usually on Monday (leaders are responsible for travel, hotel, and meal costs for the annual conference).
- Minimum of 3 years of experience working in the IEM field. Regional liaison experience is highly valued, along with a familiarity with regional leadership structures
- Ability to effectively lead and support 11-member leader volunteers in an outcomes-based environment through teleconference calls and virtual and in-person meetings
- Strong analytical abilities and leadership skills in communication, delegation, and project management, with a willingness to engage with members to discuss current issues, ongoing priorities, and agency engagement efforts
- Institutional support for this volunteer commitment to participate in bi-monthly conference calls, perform the duties of this position, and attend the annual conference to participate in IEM KC leader meetings and regional liaison activities
- Willingness to adopt organization-wide perspectives and IEM KC strategic priorities
- Willingness to adopt association priorities and perspectives on volunteer development and management
- Strategic planning, management, networking, and delegation experience
- Strong coordination, analytical, oral, and written communication skills
- Responsiveness to e-mail in a timely fashion and communication skills via online workspace structure and electronic tools/systems
- Willingness and ability to participate and represent the IEM KC at NAFSA meetings as requested by the IEM KC Chair
- Manage unconscious bias in the assessment and decision-making process Valid NAFSA membership through the length of the leadership term
- Ability to meet the volunteer commitment outlined and planning calendar deadlines