Committee: International Student and Scholar Services Knowledge Community (KCISSS)
Position: International Student Advising (ISTA) Network Leader
Term Dates: Two-year term, renewable for one additional term
The Knowledge Community for International Student and Scholar Services (KC ISSS) supports the efforts of those who advise international students and scholars, and provides assistance with understanding immigration regulations, best practices for developing appropriate office policies, and supporting internationalization through programming efforts that contribute to success, retention, and engagement. The International Student Advising (ISTA) network leader provides oversight and coordination of the ISTA network, a primary communication resource and tool for the KC ISSS. The network leader proactively looks for opportunities to create added value for network subscribers through forum discussions, posting of resources, cross-collaboration, and well-timed communication.
Position updated September 2016
Applications are not currently being accepted.
- Serve as a point of contact for the network and lead in the development, engagement, and building of community among network subscribers.
- Update the annual ISTA communication schedule to determine monthly discussion topics that reflect the needs of, and connect with, ISTA subscribers.
- Participate in and monitor the discussion forum and provide assistance to subscribers.
- Ensure adherence to Network.NAFSA posting guidelines and subscriber code of conduct.
- Have a strong familiarity of ISTA and KC ISSS resources. Assist and refer members to resources.
- Collaborate with other KC network leaders on cross-network postings, resources, and discussions.
- Maintain the ISTA blog, events, and What’s New sections. Organize the CCP library of shared network resources and assist with upkeep of KC ISSS library resources.
- Oversee the administrative aspects of the network and participate in training events to utilize Network.NAFSA reports and organizational tools.
- Contribute to the development and completion of the KC ISSS work plan and related work plan objectives, in accordance with NAFSA’s Strategic Plan.Represent the ISTA network and KC ISSS at annual conference activities (KC ISSS Reception, KC ISSS Update, and Networking Center) and perform rotational committee duties as needed by chair.
- Attend monthly KC ISSS teleconferences on the second Tuesday of every month from 3:00 p.m.–4:00 p.m. (EDT).
All NAFSA leaders are expected to foster an inclusive environment and seek to learn and understand the multicultural perspectives of the committee/team, our constituents, and stakeholders to align with the NAFSA Diversity and Inclusion Statement. An expression of leadership in this area includes:
- Engaging the committee/team to identify and implement strategies for increased personal outreach, recruitment, and onboarding for all, especially diversity-focused and underrepresented groups
- Increasing accessibility and participation from underrepresented groups, individuals, and institutions
- Expanding educational content within the committees’ purview through intentional outreach and recruitment of diverse presenters and institutional types in partnership with various NAFSA groups
NAFSA: Association of International Educators is a professional association driven by its Strategic Plan as established by the Board of Directors. The success of the association depends on the productive engagement of three key constituencies: the Board, member-leaders, and staff. Member-leaders are advocates for the association’s mission, vision, values, diversity and inclusion, and ethical principles. They align their work closely with the Board through its vice presidents and with staff to carry out the Strategic Plan. Member-leader roles are guided by objectives assigned by the Strategic Plan, by outcome accountabilities outlined in the Standing Rules, and by position descriptions for specific roles.
- This position collaborates closely with other NAFSA leaders to enhance work efforts across the association.
- This position partners closely with the NAFSA staff partner assigned. Effective relationships reflect and include responsiveness to phone calls/e-mail correspondence, timely delivery on responsibilities, open communication and mutual respect among other characteristics.
- Estimated four to six hours per month to participate in position responsibilities.
- Prepare for and attend the Washington Leadership Meeting in February 2019 and January 2020.
- Prepare for and attend ISS RP team preconference meetings at the NAFSA annual conference in May.
- Current NAFSA membership throughout length of volunteer service
- Previous volunteer/presentation experience with NAFSA at local, regional, or national level
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience working in the ISSS field
- Strong leadership skills in communication, organization, and project management, with an interest in team work and collaboration
- Institutional support for this volunteer commitment to participate in monthly conference calls and perform the duties of this position
- Strong interest in Network.NAFSA and in developing the ISCA network as an informative resource for professionals working in campus and community engagement and outreach