Position: Trainer Corps Preparation Program Trainer
Term Dates: Two years
NAFSA’s Trainer Corps (TC) Preparation Program is delivered by a training team made up of 3 experienced and dedicated trainers. The Preparation Program is Trainer Corps’ training-of-trainers for new inductees and returning members. For each cycle, the Preparation Program consists of pre-Annual Conference virtual interaction with new Trainer Corps members, an 8-hour workshop for new Trainer Corps members (delivered twice on two subsequent days), and a 4 ½ hour workshop for returning TC members (Enrichment workshop) all delivered at the Annual Conference.
As a Trainer Corps Preparation Program Trainer you will
- Represent and promote NAFSA’s Trainer Corps and Core Education Program nationally
- Model excellence in training skills and contribute to the development of the Trainer Corps program
- Contribute your expertise to the field of international education
- Work with professionals from a variety of places and backgrounds to deliver a professional product
Position updated December 2019
Applications are not currently being accepted.
- Commit to Training NAFSA Style, which includes dedicated time for planning and preparing for the training (individually and together with your team), delivering the NAFSA Induction and Enrichment Workshops and being fully present all throughout the workshops, and participating in a debrief/feedback session with your co-trainers
- Model best practices of Trainer Corps
- Conduct an in-depth review of the workshop materials for your entire workshops and take an even deeper dive into the section(s) of the materials for which you are responsible
- Contribute to the overall training plan for your workshop delivery
- Communicate often and openly with your co-trainers and NAFSA PLS staff to ensure all tasks are being accomplished, that the team is unified, and that the highest level of professionalism is demonstrated
- Participate in monthly planning sessions as organized by NAFSA staff, including one in-person team meeting in Washington DC in spring (expenses covered by NAFSA)
- Deliver the Trainer Corps Induction Workshop (2x) and the Trainer Corps Enrichment Workshop (1x) during the preconference period of the NAFSA Annual Conference
- Maintain and enhance the workshop curriculum and materials used in the preparation program
- Promote NAFSA’s Trainer Corps and the NAFSA Core Education Program
All NAFSA leaders are expected to foster an inclusive environment and seek to learn and understand the multicultural perspectives of the committee/team, our constituents, and stakeholders to align with the NAFSA Diversity and Inclusion Statement. An expression of leadership in this area includes:
- Engaging the committee/team to identify and implement strategies for increased personal outreach, recruitment, and onboarding for all, especially diversity-focused and underrepresented groups
- Increasing accessibility and participation from underrepresented groups, individuals, and institutions
- Expanding educational content within the committees’ purview through intentional outreach and recruitment of diverse presenters and institutional types in partnership with various NAFSA groups
NAFSA: Association of International Educators is a professional association driven by its Strategic Plan as established by the Board of Directors. The success of the association depends on the productive engagement of three key constituencies: the Board, member-leaders, and staff. Member-leaders are advocates for the association’s mission, vision, values, diversity and inclusion, and ethical principles. They align their work closely with the Board through its vice presidents and with staff to carry out the Strategic Plan. Member-leader roles are guided by objectives assigned by the Strategic Plan, by outcome accountabilities outlined in the Standing Rules, and by position descriptions for specific roles.
Preparation Program Trainers are part of the Trainer Corps leadership team and serve in a two-year volunteer role.
Interested Trainer Corps members submit the Trainer Corps Statement of Interest Form. Trainer Corps leadership selects and appoints Preparation Program Trainers each year.
Recruitment for open positions begins each summer/fall. Terms of service begin in January and end in December of the second year.