Regions I & XII Conference - 2014
Nov. 3-7, 2014
The Biregion I & XII conference took place at the Portland Marriott Downtown Waterfront in Portland, OR.
Enrollment in each workshop is limited, so preregistration is required. List of workshops offered at the 2014 Biregional Conference:
- F-1 Student Advising for Beginners
- F-1 Student Advising: Intermediate
- J-1 Advising for Beginners
- J-1 Advising: Intermediate
- Fundamentals of Intercultural Communication
- Nonresident Alien Tax: What International Educators Should Know
- Basics of Effective U.S. International Admissions
- Understanding Financial Aid to Develop Better Partnerships (Homegrown) (35kb )
While highly encouraged, you do not have to attend the conference to participate in a preconference workshop. Region I & XII reserves the right to cancel a workshop if sufficient enrollment is not reached by October 3, 2014.
If you'd like to be more involved and have some time during the conference to volunteer, let us know!
You’ll see there are a few different areas we can use your help: preconference, registration, general (for various conference needs), hospitality, auction, and special events! We’re also planning a wellness walk on Friday morning (6:30 - 7:30 a.m.), so if any of you Portlanders would be interested in leading the group down the Willamette, over the Burnside Bridge and back to the hotel using the East Esplanade floating path, please let us know!
Are you looking for a roommate for the conference? If so send your details to [email protected]. With regards to the conference hotel, we've only been able to block a limited number of rooms and these now have all been reserved. You could try to reserve a room via the hotel's website or a public booking agency (booking.com, expedia, etc). The room rate may differ though. You can also consider the hotels below (which are listed from closest to furthest from the hotel). If you have any question feel free to contact the Conference Team at [email protected].
- Hotel Modera: 515 SW Clay St Portland, OR 97201 ($197)
- RiverPlace Hotel Portland, a Kimpton Hotel: 1510 SW Harbor Way Portland, OR 97201 ($245)
- Downtown Value Inn 415 SW Montgomery St Portland, OR 97201 ($113)
- Econo Lodge City Center 1889 SW 4th Ave Portland, OR 97201 ($135)
- The Heathman Hotel 1001 SW Broadway Portland, OR 97205 ($224)
- Hilton Portland & Executive Tower 921 SW 6th Ave Portland, OR 97204 ($229)
- Paramount Hotel 808 SW Taylor St Portland, OR 97205 ($214)
Registration will open soon and you can start making plans now to attend the conference. See the registration FAQ's for more information about registration fees and the early session proposal discount. The registration fees for the conference are as follows:
|Registrant||Before Oct 3rd||After Oct 3rd|
|NAFSA Member, Early Registration-Staying at on-site hotel or live within 50 miles of Hotel||$220||$300|
|NAFSA Member, Early Registration- Staying off-site||$370||$450|
|Nonmember, Early Registration - Staying at on-site hotel or live within 50 miles of hotel||$260||$350|
|Nonmember, Early Registration - Staying off-site||$410||$500|
|Early session proposal discount||$40|
Note: The following special rates apply only to conference registration, and not to the workshops. See the registration FAQ's for government agency presenter information.
|Registrant||Before Oct 3rd||After Oct 3rd|
|Student, community member, retiree, government reps, EdUSA; Early Registration||$100||$150–Full Conference|
|One-Day NAFSA Member, Early Registration||$160||$190–One Day|
|One-Day Nonmember, Early Registration||$220||$250–One Day|
|One-Day Presenters representing a government agency||Free|
Note: For more information on Exhibitor Registration, review the Exhibitor/Sponsorship FAQ.
|Registrant||Before Sep 12th||After Sep 12th|
|Exhibitor, Early Registration||$700||$800|
|Extra Exhibitor, Early Registration||$200||$300|
The Silent Auction will be held during the "Gala-o-rama" event on Thursday evening. All profits go to the Regions and will support travel grants for regional conference attendance. Interested in supporting travel grants, see the Registration FAQ for donor information for the Silent Auction.
The Hospitality/Special Events Committee have some awesome things for you to do while in Portland. Here is a preview of non-conference events that you may register for when registration opens.
- Portland State University Campus Tour w/Lunch at PSU Food Cart Pod (Wednesday – 12:00 p.m.-2:00 p.m.) – no charge, but participants pay for their lunch. (Limit 15)
- Rogue House Distillery Tour (Wednesday – 8:00 p.m.-9:00 p.m.) – $10 transportation/tour; Guest $15 (Limit 50)
- Rogue House Dinner/Craft Beer Night (Wednesday – 8:00 p.m.-11:00 p.m.) – $5 transportation; Guest $10, participants pay for their dinner. (no limit)
- Suki’s Bar & Grill Dinner/Karaoke Night (Thursday – 8:00 p.m.-12:00 a.m.) –$5 transportation; Guest $10, participants pay for their dinner. (no limit)
- International Rose Test Garden (Friday – 1:00 p.m.-4:00 p.m.) – $10 transportation; Guest $15. (Limit 90)
Transportation between Portland International Airport (PDX) and Portland Marriott Downtown Waterfront:
The trip to/from downtown Portland takes about 40 minutes and costs $2.50.
From PDX to Portland Marriott Downtown Waterfront
The MAX station and ticket machines are located near baggage claim on the lower level of PDX (View airport map). Get off at Morrison/SW 3rd Avenue MAX Station, walk south on SW 3rd Avenue for 7 blocks to SW Columbia Street, walk east on SW Columbia Street for 3 blocks and the hotel is on your right hand side (10 minute walk).
From Portland Marriott Downtown Waterfront to PDX
Walk north on SW 1st Avenue for 6 blocks to Yamhill District MAX Station. Get on a Red Line MAX to PDX.
Estimate taxi fare: $50.00
Follow Airport Way East and merge onto Interstate 205 South/Veterans Memorial Highway toward Interstate 84/Portland/Salem. Continue to exit 31B and merge onto Interstate 84 West/US-30 West. Take the Interstate 5 South exit on the left toward Beaverton/Salem/City Center and proceed to the City Center exit. Keep right and take the ramp for Morrison Street/City Center. Make a slight right onto Morrison Bridge then take the ramp for Naito Parkway/Interstate 5 South/Salem. Keep right and take the Front Avenue ramp toward Interstate 5 South/Salem. The hotel will be 1/2 mile on the right.
Please refer to the Port of Portland Ground Transportation.
Make sure to drop by the Hospitality Table during the conference to see what other things you can do in Portland.