How to Talk to Your Employer About Attending
International education professionals come to the NAFSA Annual Conference & Expo to hone their skills, gain new knowledge, build strategic partnerships, and ensure that their institutions and organizations stay at the forefront of the field. Even with budgets tight, this is one event you can’t afford to miss. How can you communicate the value of attending the conference to your employer?
The NAFSA Annual Conference & Expo is the event where the field of international education, domestic and international, gathers to learn, network, and think through current trends and challenges. No other event or resource provides the value of week-long, face to face contact with thousands of peers and the access to new colleagues from around the United States and the world.
The NAFSA Annual Conference & Expo inspires and motivates. You will return to your office invigorated after meeting so many others in the field and participating in deep learning opportunities designed to help you face challenges and find solutions.
- When the online program is available in February, tell your supervisor you will include a schedule of the educational offerings you plan to attend and explain how those offerings will help advance your institution's goals and find solutions to the challenges it faces.
- Provide a list of current and potential partners you want to meet with and what you plan to discuss with each. Emphasize the cost-effectiveness of being able to meet with so many domestic and international colleagues in one place.
- If cost is a concern, include information on money-saving measures you plan to take. Promise your employer that you will take advantage of early bird registration rates which offer significant discounts.
- Commit to sharing your conference experience with your supervisor and colleagues when you return. Discuss your impressions, the information and contacts you brought back, and how you plan to apply what you learned.
- Tell your supervisor that the investment in the NAFSA Annual Conference & Expo is not only for your benefit, but for both of you.
When you volunteer at the NAFSA Annual Conference & Expo, you can be reimbursed 50%-100% of your registration. Volunteering is a great way to network with attendees and NAFSA Staff alike at a significant discount. Learn more.
World-Class Expo Hall
It is critical that you save your institution money and time by meeting with all of your partners in the same place during one week at the NAFSA Annual Conference & Expo. Collaborate with both domestic and international partners at the NAFSA Expo Hall and bring your institution to the forefront of the field.
Present a session or poster
Share your expertise at the largest gathering of international educators. Present best practices, or latest trends and research to your peers. Generate awareness about your organization or institution’s latest research! See www.nafsa.org/proposals for information on proposal deadlines.
What Attendees Are Saying
"It is impossible not to be energized and inspired by the wealth of information and professional sharing available at the annual NAFSA conference. I always return to my office with renewed determination and commitment to international education and advocacy, and full of ideas to improve my own little corner of the world."
"NAFSA is an invaluable association in international education. The annual conference reinvigorates my interest in the field through the plethora of sessions offered and countless networking opportunities. I look forward to attending the conference each year I am given the chance."
"I look forward to the NAFSA Annual Conference all year. The conference infuses me with enthusiasm for the exciting field of international education--it is a truly wonderful opportunity to learn, to network, and to find inspiration."