Registration for the Region X Fall Virtual Event is now open. Suggested registration price for NAFSA members is $18, non-members is $25, although this is a pay-what-you-can event. If you would like to participate in the additional events listed below, please keep in mind that there are additional fees.
The online conference planner will be available once registration begins. The details of each session, including video conference links, will be shared on the online conference planner.
Please view the schedule to see what sessions and events are occurring during the Region X Fall Virtual Event.
Support NAFSA Region X - Fun Events!
Participating in the Gwyneth A. Smith Virtual Fun Run, Virtual Trivia Night, and Virtual Barre Class supports NAFSA Region X’s ongoing work in:
- Helping international students, promoting study abroad
- Fostering professional development
- Aiding graduate students and young professionals with grants
- Offering a Regional Conference - the 2021 Regional Conference will be taking place in Atlantic City, NJ
Please consider participating! Not only does it help Region X, but it will be a great opportunity to build community and connect with Region X!
Virtual Trivia Night
Since we cannot meet in person this October in Montreal, your NAFSA Region X leadership team warmly invites you to participate in a Region X Virtual Trivia Night. This trivia contest will be an excellent opportunity to connect with your Region X colleagues for an evening of much-need fun and frivolity, with all proceeds going to a great cause: supporting Region X’s initiatives listed above.
The event will take place on Thursday, October 1, 2020 from 4:00pm-6:00pm on Zoom, with breakout rooms for each team.
How to Participate in the Event
- Register for the Fall 2020 Region X Virtual Series and add the $10 Virtual Trivia Night Registration.
- Teams will consist of up to 5 participants. You can register as part of a team or individually. If registering individually, you will be placed with 4 other very knowledgeable teammates! If you do register as a team, please designate a team captain, create a group name and share that with all members. Each participant must register individually on the website, where they will be asked for their team name.
Gwyneth A. Smith Virtual Fun Run
Participants will run, walk or bike on their own, anywhere around our beautiful Region X. Go right around your block or use your favorite park or trail. Do 1 mile as your goal, or add some distance and go for a 5k (3 miles) or really take it to the distance and do a 10K (6.2 miles)! Don't want to stop there? Add even more miles and shoot to win the prize for longest distance walked, run or biked!
The event will take place from September 15 to October 12, 2020 and Region X members, non-member Region X professionals, vendors, partners, and colleagues are all welcome to participate.
How to Participate in the Event
- Register for the Fall 2020 Region X Virtual Series and add the $25 Fun Run Registration. All registrants will be mailed a Region X T-shirt!
- Complete your run/walk/bike and track mileage.
- Document with photo (you can download a sign here) or video (maximum 15 seconds) and upload to google form, no later than October 12 at 5:00pm - EST.
- Join us for the “Crossing the Finish Line” watch party on October 22 at 8:00pm - EST.
Compete for six awards
- Best costume
- Most clever photo or video
- Best furry friend
- Cutest kiddos
- Longest bike ride
- Longest run or walk
To raise more funds for Region X, get per-mile pledges from friends, family, and neighbors (i.e. $5 per mile, $10 per mile). The farther you run/bike/walk, the more you raise! Try for $50 total if you can. To submit pledged funds, collect them from your people on Venmo or Zelle and then submit the total using the Donate option on the NAFSA Region X Virtual Session Registration page.
Pass the Baton
To join, take a video with our print-from-home Region X baton (pdf available here).
No printer at home? Use a hairbrush or remote control. We will edit so it looks dropped from person to person. Hit record, toss the baton/hairbrush/remote up, catch it, say your name, title, institution, and mileage, and then drop it before stopping your recording. We’ll edit you together with colleagues for a seamless video, debuting at our watch party. Sample video here for your entertainment!
Join us for a total body workout with our favorite Region X Past Chair Gwyneth A Smith who will be the class instructor. The barre class focuses on movements that lift and tone muscles to improve strength, agility and flexibility of the body.
This event will take place on Friday, October 16 from 7:15am-8:00am on Zoom.
How to Participate in this Event
- Register for the Fall 2020 Region X Virtual Series and add the $25 Barre Class Registration.
- A link to join this virtual event will be sent to all registrants prior to the start of the event.
If you are looking for professional development opportunities this Fall, NAFSA is offering a series of CEP workshops, topics such as, J-1 Intermediate, Intercultural Communication in Practice, Risk Assessment and Crisis Management in Education Abroad Programming, and more.
Registration for CEP workshops is now open. Find out more information.
The Region X Mentoring Program is designed to pair professionals that are new to international education and/or NAFSA with seasoned professionals in our region. One of the goals of this program is to help newcomers explore the various aspects of international education, NAFSA resources, advocacy and membership.
- Mentors will be expected to serve as a resource to new NAFSA members beyond the regional conference, and be available to answer questions related to international education in general.
- Mentees will be expected to use their mentor as a resource in developing their knowledge in the field, with the goal of mentoring a future NAFSA newcomer when they gain the experience necessary to do so.
Please submit the mentoring form no later than Wednesday, September 30, 2020.
Mentor/Mentee matches will be introduced via email by Monday, October 5, 2020.
A Mentor/Mentee Social via Zoom will take place on October 8, 2020 at 4:00 PM EST. Mentors and mentees will have the opportunity to meet each other during this event, and individual pairs will be placed in separate breakout rooms to talk one on one. The Zoom link for the Mentor/Mentee Social will be shared on October 5, 2020 in the matching email. Those who are not available to participate in this event are encouraged to schedule another time to meet with their assigned mentor/mentee.
Region X Awards
Please nominate your outstanding colleagues and shine our spotlight on their contributions to International Education and the Region X community!
Region X has three awards:
James O'Driscoll Distinguished Service Award: Recognizing exceptional service to Region X, the furtherance of interests of international educational exchange, and active participation in regional activities, projects and programs.
Lifetime Achievement Award: Recognizing an individual whose professional life has been dedicated to the field of international education, who has served as a mentor, and who has provided extensive service to the regional and/or national NAFSA community.
Rising Professional Award: Recognizing NAFSA members employed in the field of international education for fewer than five (5) years, who has demonstrated a notable commitment to the field through professional or volunteer activities, and who is active in regional and/or national NAFSA affairs.
It is required that the nominator and all who are supporting the nomination submit nomination letters. Nomination letters are a critical part in the award decision making process, and excerpts of the letters will be read at the award ceremony. If possible, also include a photo. Please keep in mind that our Region X awards are far more meaningful when multiple voices and perspectives contribute to the nomination!
More information on regional awards and past recipients can be found on the Region X website.
Deadline for submission: October 2 at 5:00pm EDT
New York Film Academy (NYFA): Documentary Film: Generation 328 (from Belarus)
Screening: Friday, October 16, 3:00pm-4:00pm
The Creative Industries MIG is proud to present a short film by a featured student from the New York Film Academy, Generation 328. The film addresses the archaic drug laws of Belarus that lead to the imprisonment of up to 20 years for youth who are caught even with a very small amount of marijuana. In reality, the dictatorial government in Belarus often plants the drugs on civil and human rights activists to ‘put them away’ so that they cannot run opposition activities. Filmed by Veranika Nikanava (Nika), a NYFA student from Belarus, and completed by her classmates after she was tragically killed in 2019.
Viewers will need to register before accessing the link. The registration link will be available in the Online Program. There will be a short Q & A with the producers and Chair of the department following the 19 minute screening.
- There is a $10.00 cancellation fee for refund requests received within two (2) weeks prior to the conference start date. No refunds will be issued for partial attendance. All donations and special event fees are non-refundable.
- No refunds will be granted within two (2) weeks of the conference start date. In the case of emergency/extenuating circumstances, special requests may be considered on a case-by-case basis by the regional leadership team following the conference.
- All fees for special events are non-refundable. Refund requests should be submitted to: [email protected]