October 13 - 19, 2019
Sponsored by the Ministry of Science, Research, and Arts Baden-Württemberg, Germany, the seminar is open to NAFSA and American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO) members.
The seminar focuses on the German educational system, German-American academic equivalencies, and student exchange between Germany and the United States. Lectures and discussions are complemented by visits to primary, secondary, and tertiary educational institutions in the state of Baden-Württemberg.
Onsite costs for participating, including accommodations, most meals, and transportation for excursions, are provided by the Ministry. Participants or their institutions are responsible for the cost of transportation to and from Konstanz, Germany.
Who Should Apply
The seminar is designed for study abroad officers, international student advisers, admissions officers, and others with responsibility for postsecondary-level exchanges. Applicants must either be AACRAO or NAFSA members. No more than one application per institution should be submitted.
All applications are submitted by June 14, via AACRAO. Applications are reviewed by a committee of former AACRAO and NAFSA participants, in collaboration with BW-I staff.
- Nicole Balazs, Study Away Adviser, University of Alaska - Fairbanks
- Kristen Ball, Sr. Associate Registrar, University of Richmond
- Katrina Dawn Brown, Manager for Programs and Operations, University of Utah
- Jonnathan De La Fuente, Study Abroad Coordinator, California State University - Bakersfield
- Rachel Johnson, Director, Campus Internationalization & Fellowships Programs, University of Kansas
- Caryn Lindsay, Director of Study Abroad & Global Learning, Western Kentucky University
- Joanna McCord, Assistant Registrar, University of Minnesota - Duluth
- Danielle McMartin, Associate Director, California State University - San Marcos
- Danielle Pattee, Study Abroad Adviser, San Francisco State University
- Karla Piacentini, International Admissions Specialist, California State University - Sacramento
- Jenifer Ruby, Director of International Student & Scholar Services, Rollins College
- Kristy Sauerbry, Assistant Director, Student Affairs, California State University - Long Beach
- Neringa Tuyilingire, International Student & Scholar Adviser II, Michigan State University
- Jeff Von Munkwitz - Smith, Editor-in- chief, ACCRAO
- Inga Wheeler, Associate Registrar, Recruitment & Admissions, Okanagan College
- Baden-Württemberg Ministry of Science, Research, and Arts
- AACRAO: American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers
- NAFSA: Association of International Educators
Education Abroad Services
The Baden-Württemberg Seminar for Administrators in International Education was an invaluable experience that has immediately enhanced my work as an administrator. As an adviser, the experience has helped me to better connect with international exchange students from Germany and better address and serve their academic needs.
I strongly encourage other NAFSA and AACRAO members to apply for this seminar. It was an extremely well-structured and effective way to learn about, and see firsthand, the different types of German higher education options and the history behind them. The seminar also presented an understanding of the educational journey from kindergarten to higher education, which allowed us to gain a more in-depth understanding of the German higher educational system.
I am extremely grateful for this opportunity and the ongoing benefits of the experience.Kaitlin Ritchie, University of North Carolina-Greensboro
- Jesse Lutabingwa from Appalachian State University shared his blog from his travel in Germany on the Baden-Württemberg Seminar in October 2015.