Here you will find answers to questions you might have about NAFSA's e-Learning courses. If you have additional questions, please contact Professional Learning Services.
It’s easy to register for a NAFSA eLearning Course. Follow these ten steps.
- Start on NAFSA’s e-Learning Courses page.
- Select the course you would like to enroll in.
- Look at the Event Begins dates, and select a cohort that works best with your schedule.
- Press “Register Today” which will take you to the NAFSA shop.
- If you are not signed in, or do not have an account, press Login to Register.
*Creating an account is free! You do not need to be a member to have an account.
- Press Add to Cart.
- Press Pay Now.
- Enter payment details.
- Congratulations: you are now signed up! You will receive an email the Friday before the course starts with access instructions.
Do I have to be a member to register?
No. You will be prompted to login or create a NAFSA account in order to purchase the course. However, having an account is free and does not make you a NAFSA member.
Can I fax my registration?
Please purchase this course with your credit card through the NAFSA Shop. Please note that we are no longer able to process paper registrations and payments submitted via fax due to strict stay-at-home orders recently issued for Maryland, Virginia, and the District of Columbia.
Have you received my registration ? I haven't heard anything from NAFSA.
You will receive an email the Friday before the course starts with access instructions and tips for getting started. If you did not receive this email or if you have any other questions, please contact Professional Learning Services.
My institution is a member. Why isn't the website giving me member pricing?
NAFSA only offers individual memberships, not institutional memberships. In order to get the member discount on a product order or event registration, the order or registration and the membership must be under the same name.
I want to register someone else on my campus for an e-Learning Course, but when I click on the "Register Someone Else" button that person is not appearing.
If your colleagues are not signed up in our database under the exact same institution as you, they may not show up when you go to register other people. Please make sure that they check their NAFSA profiles to ensure that they are listed under the same institution as you. This should resolve the issue; if not, please contact Professional Learning Services.
How can I get a receipt?
- Navigate to www.nafsa.org.
- Click Login in the upper right-hand corner and enter your credentials.
- Click on MyNAFSA in the upper right-hand corner.
- Click on My Purchases and scroll down to My Recent Transactions.
- Click on View Previous Orders; this will take you to a page with a list of all your orders. Each item will have a link to a receipt.
What is NAFSA's e-Learning Cancellation/Refund Policy?
There is no minimum number of students per course for self-paced offerings so no sessions will be cancelled by NAFSA.
- Participant cancellation of e-Learning registration must be made in writing contact Professional Learning Services and received no later than seven (7) days before the course start date
- Any requests for refunds based on cancellations received after the seven-day period may not be refunded. These requests will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
- Refunds, if appropriate, will be processed 4 to 6 weeks after the course start date.
- If payment is made by credit card, a credit will be issued to your credit card account; otherwise, a refund check will be issued.
- A $75 (USD) cancellation/processing fee will be deducted from registration refunds.
Requests to change, add, or cancel e-Learning registration must be made in writing and received via e-mail seven days before the course start date.
All requests for changes, cancellations, and refunds should contact Professional Learning Services.
- Log in to your account on our e-Learning platform with your NAFSA credentials. Note: If you have forgotten your password, please have it reset.
- Click on your username in the top right hand corner to access your profile.
- If you have not already entered your access code, click on the “Access Codes” tab and paste the code into the box then click “Apply.”
- Click on the "My Activity" tab on your profile page and you will see your e-Learning course listed in that section.
- You will be able to click on the course and access all content items on when your course starts.
Why haven’t I received the access instructions?
We send out access instructions from our [email protected] email address. This can sometimes go to the spam folder. If you have not received this email, go to your settings and make sure that this email address is not blocked.
If you still cannot find the access instructions, please contact Professional Learning Services.
Why am I getting the error message "Sorry, there was a problem serving the requested page"?
This can be caused by corrupted cookies or cookies that are blocked.
Try deleting your cache. Each time you access a file through your web browser (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, etc.), the browser caches (i.e., stores) it so it does not have to keep retrieving the same files or images from the remote web site each time you click Back or Forward. You should periodically clear the cache to allow your browser to function more efficiently.
Why Can't I Log in?
There could be many reasons but most probably you may have forgotten your password, tried the wrong one, or entered it incorrectly. If you have forgotten your password, please have it reset.
Some other things to think about include:
- Does your password contain a mixture of upper- and lowercase letters? Passwords are case sensitive so be sure to entire them correctly.
- Are cookies enabled on your browser?
To view the individual modules and PDF documents, you will need to have: Flash Player 6.0.79 or later (Flash Player 7 or later recommended), and one of the following browsers:
- Windows: Internet Explorer 6 and later, Firefox 1.x and later, Safari 3 and later, Google Chrome, Opera 9.5 and later
- Macintosh: Firefox 1.x and later, Safari 3 and later
- Linux: Firefox 1.x and later
What Do Others Say About NAFSA e-Learning?
- This course is more modern and more interactive than other online courses I've taken. It's user-friendly.
- Technologically more advanced than most learning venues I've seen online.
- E-courses can be complicated, but this one is easily understandable and puts me at ease.
- Very visual and easy to use and navigate.
- Interactive, fun, and informative.
- Does more than any other site I'm used to working with. Not just linking to a PowerPoint but linking to a more high tech player with more interactive slides. I think it will be a better learning tool than just a simple PowerPoint presentation might be.
Generally, a course will be offered once or twice a month. Please check the NAFSA Events & Training e-Learning Web site for the schedule.
From the convenience and comfort of your own environment, you'll gain lots of insights and hints to help make you more effective at your job. Each course is interactive, fun, and engaging and offers knowledge and information to fit any work or personal schedule. Included are valuable resources, worksheets, glossary, and a companion workbook to continue and reinforce your learning after completing the course.
You'll find that the course features graphically rich and interactive content with narration to connect you with the storyline and material.
What Materials Will I Receive?
You'll be surprised what you'll be able to take away with you. To begin, there will be a Companion Workbook that you'll use and complete as you go through the course—useful later as a reference resource. In addition, you'll receive access to NAFSA's Adviser's Manual if you're enrolled in F-1 Advising: Getting Started or Beyond the Basics of F-1 Student Advising.
There are PDF documents you'll be able to download onto your computer and print out for future reference. A few of these documents are the Companion Workbook, Course Resources, Glossary, and Participant Guide to e-Learning.
Each module is designed to fit into an international educator's busy work schedule, such as between appointments and meetings. Depending on your learning style, time, and interruptions, completion time may be extended. A module could take you as little as 20 minutes to as long as two hours. Spend as much time as you require in each module to ensure you understand the subject matter. There is no limit as to how many times you can go through a module as you have full access to the course for the entire six-week period.
If you do get interrupted or are unable to complete the module, click the pause button on the Scrub bar, minimize the window to the task bar, then maximize the window when you are ready to continue the module.
Each participant has access to a course for a period of four weeks. Should you complete all the modules before that time, feel free to return to these modules to review and deepen your learning.
If you are concerned you will be unable to complete the course within the six-week period, please contact us directly. Extensions will be granted on a case-by-case basis. It is not our practice to provide extensions, but rather to encourage you to try and complete the modules and final quiz within the allotted time frame.
If the course is not completed within the time frame, course fees will not be refunded.
No, each course is self-contained. There are attachments, resource pages with links, a glossary of terms, and recommended books for reference. A major resource will be a Companion Workbook which you will use for the length of the course.
Generally, once you log in, you will read over the materials in the first topic box for pertinent information and go from there.
You may progress from the first module through to the last module; or you could jump from topic to topic.
Please use the Companion Workbook as you go through the modules. The exercises and illustrations reinforce the information and will serve as a resource after you complete the course. Download the PDF document to your desktop and make a print out.
Is there official certification for the course? Do you offer credits?
Upon completion of the course, participants can download a certificate of completion from the course platform. However, we stress that this is a recognition of having completed the course - it is not any kind of recognized certification. That said, many NAFSA e-learning participants list the course in the education section of their résumé.
I took the course a couple of months ago and lost my notes. Can you give me access again?
Unfortunately, we are unable to give access after the course is completed. Please contact Professional Learning Services. and we all be able to send you an electronic version of the companion workbook for the course and you can review the information in there.
I cannot find the answer to my question in these FAQs. What should I do?
Feel free to contact Professional Learning Services.