|Event Date||Event Time||Registration Deadline||Registration|
This workshop compliments and broadens your knowledge gained after completing the J-1 Advising for Beginners workshop since it goes more deeply into grey areas of J advising. This workshop is designed to help you think through the development of policies, procedures, and practices necessary to maintain a healthy J program for your institution. Ample time is provided to focus on model practices based on current scenarios as well as to reflect on how these practices could improve your own J program.
- Build a conceptual foundation and practical knowledge for J-1 advising.
- Develop critical analytical skills for resolving common J-1 Exchange Visitor dilemmas.
- Balance and manage the interests of key constituencies.
- Establish solid professional networks in the J-1 visa community.
- The unique character of the Exchange Visitor Program and how to maintain a healthy J-1 Program at your institution
- The roles and responsibilities of the Responsible Officer/Alternate Responsible Officer at the intermediate level
- The use of resources in problem solving and developing institutional policy
- Assessing and applying policy, procedure, and practice
What Participants Are Saying
- The workshop was extremely valuable as a J1 professional. I learned about creating policies and also finding ways to interpret the spirit of the J1 program. I value also the networking group met at this workshop. -2017 Annual Conference workshop participant
- The workshop provided relevant content for practical situations. The workbook gives excellent scenarios, along with reasoning. References and breakdowns of certain polices are included in workbook, too. -2016 Regional Conference workshop participant
- Trainers shared personal work experiences that helped to illustrate the effects of certain policies. Additionally, the workbook will be an excellent reference for future concerns. -2016 On-site workshop participant
- All of the presenters were very knowledgeable and friendly. I had the opportunity to make connections with those from my region as well as Region VII. Overall, it was a very successful workshop. -2016 Regional Conference workshop participant
International student and scholar advisers, Responsible Officers (RO) and Alternate Responsible Officers (ARO), and administrators with a working knowledge and understanding of immigration and J visa regulations.