Region VII Operating Procedures
Procedure 1 – Name of Region and Geographic Area of the Region
The name of this organization shall be Region VII of NAFSA: Association of International Educators (hereinafter referred to as “Region” and “NAFSA”, respectively). The Region shall be established geographically in accordance with the governing documents of NAFSA and, until properly amended, shall consist of the following area: Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, the Virgin Islands, and Puerto Rico.
Procedure 2 – Our Mission as a Region
The purpose of this Region shall be to function harmoniously with and generally advance NAFSA’s mission within its specific geographic area, respond to the needs of its members, and to sponsor an annual regional conference and other professional development activities for international educators in the Region.
Procedure 3 – Membership of Region and Membership Voting Status
All members of NAFSA within the designated geographic area shall be considered members of the Region, and shall be voting or non-voting members, as provided by NAFSA’s governing documents. Any exception to this eligibility is at the discretion of and approval by the Region Chairstream.
Procedure 4 – Regional Team
Section A. Definition and Duties
The management of this Region shall be vested in a Regional Team consisting of an elected position identified as the Chairstream, serving three successive terms as the Chair, Chair-Elect, Past Chair, a Treasurer, a Regional Representative of each professional area of NAFSA, a Representative of each State in the Region, Governmental Regulatory Representatives, and other members as deemed necessary by the team may be appointed by the Chair.
With the exception of the elected position, the above shall be appointed by the Chair with the approval of the Team.
The regional leadership team is accountable to the Board of NAFSA though the Vice President of Member Relations (per NAFSA bylaws).
Section B. Eligibility
Any voting member of NAFSA from within this Region shall be eligible for election or appointment to the Regional Team prior to taking office, except that the Incoming Chair-Elect shall have served at least one year on a Regional Team prior to taking office.
Section C. Nominations and Elections
- Nominating Committee - A nominating Committee of no more than five members, that will include the Chair, the Chair-Elect, and with the current Past Chair of the Regional Team serving as Chair of the Committee. The Committee shall ensure that a slate of candidates is distributed to the Regional membership at least 30 days in advance of the election. The slate shall include eligible nominees for the office of Chair-elect. Provisions shall also be made for a write-in candidate.
- Election - Election shall be by ballot. Ballots shall be made available to the membership no later than September 1 and received by September 30. Election to office shall be determined by majority vote of ballots cast.
Section D. Terms of Office
The Chair, Chair-elect, and Past Chair serve a one-year term, beginning at the Regional Team meeting which opens the Annual Regional Conference. State representatives will serve on the Regional Team based on the period defined by their state organization. All other elected or appointed positions on the team shall serve a three-year term, beginning the Regional Team meeting which opens the Annual Regional Conference.
Section E. Vacancies
- Chair - A vacancy in the office of the Chair shall be filled by the Chair-elect, who shall serve for the remainder of the unexpired term in addition to serving as Chair for the following year.
- Chair-elect - A vacancy in the office of Chair-elect shall be filled by special election among the membership.
- Past Chair - A vacancy in the office of Past Chair shall be filled at the discretion of the Chair and Chair-elect with approval of the Regional Team.
- Other offices - Vacancies in all other offices shall be filled by the Chair with consent of the Regional Team. The person so selected must meet general eligibility requirements.
Section F. Standing Committees
- The Executive Committee - The Executive Committee shall be comprised of the current chair-stream plus the Treasurer, and will serve in a fiduciary capacity.
- The Budget Committee - The Chair, Past Chair, and Chair-elect shall constitute the Budget Committee. The committee is authorized to approve expenditures not included in the annual budget or to make exceptions to the annual budget.
- The Nominating Committee - The Nominating Committee shall be comprised of no more than five members, will be chaired by the Past Chair and include the Chair, Chair-elect, a member of the current regional team, and will determine the slate for Incoming Chair-elect.
Section G. Removal
A member of the team who fails to perform his/her duties may be removed from office by a two-thirds vote of the team (per NAFSA bylaws).
Procedure 5 – Duties of Regional Leaders
Section A. Chair
The Chair shall preside at all Regional meetings, shall lead the conference planning duties with major assistance from the Conference Coordinator, shall represent this Region to NAFSA, and shall otherwise perform the normal duties of a Chair. The Chair may appoint committee Chairs with the approval of the Regional Team.
Section B. Chair-Elect
The Chair-Elect shall preside, in the absence of the Chair, at any Regional or Team meeting and shall perform such other duties as may be assigned by the Chair.
Section C. Past Chair
The Past Chair shall chair the Nominating Committee, represent the region in the Regional Affairs Committee of NAFSA and shall perform such other duties as may be assigned by the Chair, with the approval of the Team. Additionally, the past chair will assist the chair in providing past/best practices and will serve on the NAFSA Regional Affairs Committee (RAC). Past chair will review regional operating procedures and team member’s job description, and make recommendations to the team.
Section D. Treasurer
The Treasurer shall prepare an annual financial statement to be presented to the Regional Team and to the membership at the Region's Annual Business Meeting. The Treasurer shall also perform such other duties as assigned by the Chair. Any unbudgeted expenditures of more than $150 shall require the approval of the Executive Committee.
Section E. Other Regional Team Members
The Chair may assign such duties as are appropriate to other members of the Regional Team.
Procedure 6 – Meetings
Section A. Annual Conference
This Region shall schedule an Annual Regional Conference, which shall include an Annual Business Meeting.
Section B. Other Meetings
The Region shall hold two additional meetings: a Spring Team Meeting and a second Business Meeting (also known as a “regional update”). The Spring Team Meeting shall take place at the Annual Regional Conference venue and serve as preparation for the Annual Regional Conference. The Regional Update shall take place at the NAFSA National Conference. Workshops, inter-regional meetings, and other meetings of interest to Regional members may be arranged in consultation with the Chair and with the approval of the Team.
Procedure 7 – Procedures for Managing Regional Business
Section A. Regional Financial Authority
The financial authority of the regional shall be vested in the Executive Committee. The Region shall manage its funds prudently; maintain appropriate financial records; submit annual financial reports to NAFSA; be subject to audit in a manner prescribed by the Treasurer of NAFSA. The region will seek advice from a financial planner upon approval by the Team and with advice from the Vice President for Member Relations.
Section B. Regional Conference Registration
The Region shall use a third-party conference registration company, chosen by NAFSA, to process pre-conference fee collections and, if desired, to process other registrations related to the Annual Regional Conference or any other meeting as appropriate and as arranged in consultation with the Chair and with the approval of the team..
Section C. Regional Hotel Site Selection Contractor
The Regions shall use a third-party hotel contractor, chosen by the NAFSA Vice President for Member Relations, to select and contract for hotels or conference centers for the Annual Regional Conference and any other meeting as appropriate and as arranged in consultation with the Chair and with the approval of the team. .
Section D. Regional Fundraising
Any fundraising by the Regions shall conform to NAFSA’s “Guidelines for Fundraising.”
Section E. Regional Communications
Any communications or public representations emanating from the Region shall be clearly identified as such.
Procedure 8 – Voting Quorum
At either Business Meeting of this Region, the number of members present shall constitute a quorum. In any ballot, the number of returned ballots shall constitute a quorum. In any team vote, the number of returned responses by a stated deadline that is at least within five business days, except for urgent matters as determined by the Chair stream, shall constitute a quorum.
Procedure 9 – Parliamentary Authority
The rules contained in the most recent edition of Alice Sturgis, The Standard Code of Parliamentary Procedure, shall govern the Region in all manners to which they are applicable and in which they do not conflict with the NAFSA Articles of Incorporation, NAFSA Standing Rules and Bylaws.
Procedure 10 – Amendments
These Region VII Operating Procedures may be amended by a two-thirds majority vote of the Regional Leadership Team provided amendments do not conflict with the procedures in any governing documents of NAFSA, as determined by the NAFSA Vice President for Member Relations. Proposed amendments shall be submitted to the Regional Leadership Team at least 30 days prior to the Regional vote and then be presented to NAFSA for approval.
- Adopted 28 October 1997
- Amended 09 November 1999
- Amended 20 November 2000
- Amended 26 October 2007
- Amended 14 September 2012