Join us for the 2019 Regional Conference in Orlando, Florida.
We're excited about our 2019 NAFSA Region VII Conference coming up at the Hilton Orlando Lake Buena Vista, November 17-20, in Orlando, Florida.
Hotel Reservations and Parking
- Take advantage of negotiated room rates at our host hotel.
- Please be aware that Hilton requires pre-payment of your first night deposit soon after you make a reservation. Please plan accordingly.
- Cut-off date for conference room rate: Oct. 25, 2019
- Self-parking with discount: $17.60 / night plus 6.5% tax
November 17 - 20, 2019
Hilton Orlando Lake Buena Vista
1751 Hotel Plaza Boulevard Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830Register Today
Conference Registration and Rates
|Full Conference||Single Day||Full-Time Student or
NAFSA Academy Participant
|Members: Early bird* $299 / Late: $379||Member: $249**||$99**|
|Nonmember: Early bird* $379 / Late: $499||Nonmember: $269**|
|*Early bird rate ends: October 11, 2019||**Fixed rate, regardless of registration date|
Travel to Orlando
- Airport: Orlando International Airport (airport code: MCO) is located 17 miles from the conference hotel
- Hotel: 1751 Hotel Plaza Blvd., Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830
- Ground Transportation: Ride-share services cost appx. $35, airport to hotel. The link also connects to rental cars, taxis and transit options.
Call for Proposals and Idea Generator
NAFSA Region VII is seeking both standard and poster session proposals for our regional conference this November in Orlando. The portal is open!
All sessions will reflect the best thinking in our field, informed by theory, research, and best practices cognizant of diversity and inclusion. Presenting at a conference is an invaluable professional development experience for you and an opportunity to share knowledge and advance the field of international education. The session proposal link for both types of sessions is now open! Remember, a proposal is a short summary of your idea. You'll have time to develop the format and contents of your proposal after notification of selection.
Poster Fair Proposals
Submit a poster to the 2019 conference! Your work will be featured in a sunny, high-traffic hallway just outside the expo hall overlooking the pool courtyard. Each presenter will have a cocktail table with black tablecloth. Please login using your NAFSA Passport link as described above for session proposals.
Membership in NAFSA is not required to submit a regional session proposal. However, a "My NAFSA Passport" (user profile) is required to submit a proposal.
- If needed, create your free "My NAFSA Passport".
- To submit your proposal, visit the submission portal via your "My NAFSA Passport".
- Deadline: Jun. 15, 2019
- For any questions or issues with the session proposal process, please contact Kim or Bryony.
Do you have a session idea and need a co-presenter? Are you are presenter looking for a session idea? Our "Idea Generator" allows you to easily submit basic information about yourself, area of interest and topic and then connect with others in our region looking to present and partner on a session proposal.
- Submit the Session Idea Generator Form
- After step one, you will have access to the Session Idea Spreadsheet
- Explore the special group discounts for NAFSA Region VII Conference attendees
- Tickets purchased through this site only are valid: Nov. 10 - 27 (7 days before and after our conference)
- Site expires: Nov. 16, 2019
- Ticket prices subject to approximate 5% increase Jul. 16, 2019
Note the seasonal rates in effect before and after the conference:
- Regular: Nov. 10 - 15, Sunday - Friday
- Peak: Nov. 16, Saturday
- Regular: Nov. 17 - 22, Sunday - Friday
- Peak: Nov. 23 - 30, Saturday - Saturday
Online Conference Program
The online conference program is the best and most up-to-date way to browse sessions, events and plan the details of your conference experience. It will also sync with the free NAFSA Region VII mobile app, which you can download from your favorite app store.
How do I access it?
- Register for the conference and make note of your registration confirmation ID. You will need it and the email used to register in order to log-in to the online program.
- Click the login link in the top right of the online program to access "My Plan". Any event you selected during the registration process will automatically appear in your plan.
- View the Online Conference Program (coming soon)
- Attendee Lists: a full attendee list will be available only to registered attendees, while the online program will be available to anyone.
Attend an informative Core Education Program (CEP) pre-conference workshop and earn a certificate of completion from NAFSA. CEP Workshops introduce best practices and in-depth exploration of job-specific skills in areas including international student advising, education abroad, and international admissions, perfect for professionals who wish to deepen their current skills, acquire skills in a specialized area, or gain cross-cutting functional skills. Workshops are either four or eight hours of training; attendees receive training and materials.
- ISSS: F-1 Student Advising for Beginners (full day)
- ISSS: F-1 Student Advising: Intermediate (full day)
- ISSS: J-1 Advising: Intermediate (full day)
- ISSS: US Visa and Entry Process for Students and Scholars (half day)
- TLS: Assessment and Evaluation for International Educators (full day)
- EA: Collaborative Approaches to Developing Faculty-Led Programs (full day)
- EA: Internships, Research, and Service Learning Abroad (half day)
- IEM: Recruiting International Students (half day)
In addition, NAFSA Region VII has developed an invigorating workshop on best practices for comprehensive internationalization and networking among Region VII’s HBCU's and MSI's. There are four (4) $50 grants to attend the HBCU Forum, which is not a CEP Workshop.
HBCU Forum (half day)
|Full Day Workshop||$350||$450||$250|
|Half Day Workshop||$275||$375||$150|
* Full time students only and not yet working in the field.
Exhibitors, Sponsorship and Advertisers
NAFSA Region VII invites you to exhibit, sponsor, and advertise at the 2019 Regional Conference. By joining us in Orlando, you will have the opportunity to connect your organization to approximately 650+ international educators from the Southeast region and The Caribbean. The 2019 Exhibition Flyer will be available for review at a later date.
For questions about exhibiting, advertising or sponsorship please contact Carolina Robinson, Region VII Development Coordinator.
Region VII Award Nominations
Each year during the annual business meeting, Region VII recognizes the contributions of community volunteers and outstanding colleagues who exemplify excellence in international education. The annual awards are as follows: Community Volunteer Award; International Excellence Award; New Professional Award. Award descriptions and online nomination forms are here.
- 2020: Birmingham, Alabama
- 2021: San Juan, Puerto Rico
- 2022: Charlotte, North Carolina
Travel and HBCU Forum Grants
Travel Grants and HBCU Forum Grants
Region VII offers travel grants to support attendance at our regional conference and also offers support to participate in our HBCU Forum. You are urged to apply, especially if you are from two-year colleges; Historically Black Colleges and Universities; minority-serving institutions (MSI's), including Hispanic-serving institutions and tribal colleges; first-time attendees; public institutions with significant budgetary constraints; and/or first time grantees or awardees.
Travel Grant Awardees Receive:
- Waiver of the Conference Registration Fee at the Early-Bird Rate
- Up to $300 in reimbursable costs for eligible travel expenses based on receipts
- Recognition at the Region VII Conference
HBCU Forum Grant Awardees Receive:
- Waiver of the HBCU Forum Pre-Conference Workshop Registration Fee
- Recognition at the Region VII Conference
- September 13, 2019: Notification of award via email with early-bird registration instructions
- Apply for a 2019 Region VII Travel Grant and / or HBCU Forum Grant and provide all supporting documentation via the uploads on the form.
- Deadline to submit completed application: September 6, 2019
- If you have difficulty using the link above, you may request a pdf application from Allegra Laing.
For Travel Grant Help or More Information, please contact Region VII Chair-Elect, Allegra Laing.
Fundraising for Region VII Travel Grants
Region VII needs your help in collecting donated items, goods and services from your campus or organization. Additional information TBA.
Special Events and Opportunities
2019 Case Study Competition and Team Presentations
Graduate students and new professionals to our field are invited to demonstrate their knowledge and experience by participating on a 2-person team to tackle a challenging case study based on an assigned scenario. Each team is paired with a mentor to help the team develop their proposals and approaches to the case study. The competition culminates in a 10-minute presentation by each team to a panel of 3 judges. The winning team will be announced at the Region VII Business Awards Luncheon!
- Complimentary early-bird registration to the NAFSA Region VII 2020 conference.
- Complimentary registration to NAFSA's Global Learning Lab in Washington, DC.
- Award plaque and certificate
Questions can be directed to Angie Edwards.
Sign up for a fun, social networking dinner with colleagues on (dates TBD) at one of the selected restaurants below. Each group will be led by a volunteer guide from Region VII to the location for which you signed up. Our wonderful Local Arrangement co-Coordinators (LAC's) have made these arrangements to welcome up to 15 people each. You are kindly asked to honor your commitment to participate if you sign up, or delete your name if your plans change. In this manner, another attendee may participate and the LAC's will be able to provide final estimates to the host restaurants for their prep.
Please RSVP for dinner
Note: Dinner costs are individual and not covered by registration
Bon appétit! Καλή όρεξη! Verði þér að góðu! どうぞめしあがれ! Poftă bună! ¡Buen provecho! 잘 먹겠습니다! Smaaklike ete! Mahlzeit! Kaj'ëëj'ëëvoghjaeti akavigo! yISop! Y'all enjoy!
Newcomers' Orientation and Volunteering
All newcomers to NAFSA and / or to the field of international education are invited to convene for this a great opportunity to learn how to navigate our conference. You'll get a useful overview of NAFSA as a professional organization and resource; learn about involvement and leadership opportunities; and meet the current Region VII team. There will be an interactive and fun networking activity also. Everyone is welcome and no registration is required!
When and where: TBD
Open to all conference attendees, volunteering is a great opportunity to network, share best practices, and help others. Volunteers should report to the volunteer Table 15 minutes prior to their session start time. Volunteer slots are typically 1.5 - 2 hours.
- Prior experience or knowledge is not required to volunteer. All the information you need will be provided when you report to the Volunteer Table.
- Feel free to sign up for more than one volunteer slot and day.
- Questions? Please contact: TBD
- Duty descriptions for each role appear on the sign-up link below.
- All volunteers will receive a separate invitation to a special "VEPS" Reception (Volunteers, Exhibitors, Presenters and Sponsors / Advertisers) as a thank you!
Sign up to volunteer: TBD
What's next: When your check-in time arrives, go to the volunteer management desk, located at TBD
Looking for a new international education position or want to help fellow NAFSAns by sharing your professional insights and career advice? Back again by popular demand, we'll be offering resume review opportunities at the Region VII Conference in Orlando. More information coming soon.