Article I: Name
The name of this organization shall be Region VIII, NAFSA: Association of International Educators (hereinafter referred to as a “NAFSA” and “ Region” respectively.) The region shall be established geographically in accordance with the government documents of NAFSA and, until properly amended, shall consist of the following areas: Delaware, District of Columbia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia.
Article II: Purpose
The purpose of this Region shall be to advance NAFSA's mission within its specific geographic area while responding to the needs of its members.
Article III: Membership
All members of NAFSA within the designated regional area shall be considered members of the Region, and shall be voting or non-voting members, as provided by NAFSA's governing documents.
Article IV: Regional Team
Section A. Definition
The management of this Region shall be vested in a Regional Team consisting of the Chair, the Chair-Elect, the Chair-Elect-Elect, the Immediate Past Chair, and Treasurer, one regional representative of each professional section of NAFSA (in addition to a representative for ATESL and SPA programming), two (2) Student/Scholar Regulatory Ombudspeople, and additional members as needed, the number of which is not to exceed the total number of elected officers and professional section representatives. With the exception of the elected positions, the above shall be appointed by the Chair with the approval of the regional team.
Section B. Eligibility
Any voting member of NAFSA from within the Region shall be eligible for election or appointment to the Regional Team, except that the Chair-elect-elect shall have served at least two years on a Regional Team prior to taking office.
Section C. Nominations and Elections
- Nominating Committee - The Nominating Committee shall be chaired by the immediate past Chair and include a maximum of four Region VIII members appointed by the regional Chair, and not currently holding an office on the regional team. No member of the nominating committee shall be placed in nomination. The nominating committee shall ensure that a list of eligible candidates is distributed to the regional membership at least three (3) months in advance of the regional conference.
- Election - Election shall be by ballot through the regional website or a special mailing to the voting members of the Region.
Section D. Terms of Office
All elected members of the Team shall serve for one year for each level of the chair stream, beginning at the close of the Annual NAFSA Region VIII Conference in the fall. The team of appointed members shall be two years beginning at the close regional conference.
Section E. Vacancies
- Chair - A vacancy in the office of Chair shall be filled by the Chair- elect who shall serve for the remainder of the unexpired term in addition to serving as Chair-elect for the following year
- Chair-elect - A vacancy in the office of Chair-elect shall be filled by the Chair- elect-elect, who shall serve for the remainder of the unexpired term in addition to serving as Chair-elect for the following year.
- Chair- elect-elect - A vacancy in the office of Chair-elect- elect shall be filled by special election among the membership.
- Past Chair - A vacancy in the office of Immediate Past Chair shall not be filled.
- Treasurer - A vacancy in the office of Treasurer shall be appointed by the Chair to assume the duties for a period of two years.
Article V: Duties
Section A. Chair
The Chair shall preside at all Regional meetings, shall represent this Region in the Regional Council of NAFSA and shall otherwise perform the normal duties of a Chair. The Chair may appoint Committee Chairs with the approval of the Regional Team. The Chair also serves as the Exhibit Coordinator and the Plenary Luncheon Speaker Coordinator for the Annual Regional Conference.
Section B. Chair-elect
The Chair-elect shall preside in the absence of the Chair at any Regional or Team meeting and shall perform such other duties as may be assigned by the Chair. The Chair-elect serves as the Workshop/Session Coordinator for the Annual Regional Conference.
Section C. Past Chair
The Immediate Past Chair shall chair the Nominating Committee and perform such other duties as may be assigned by the Chair with the approval of the Regional Team. The Immediate Past Chair serves as the Registrar at the Annual Regional Conference. The Immediate Past Chair also serves on the National Regional Affairs Committee of NAFSA.
Section D. Treasurer
The Treasurer shall prepare an annual budget to be presented to the Team for adoption by the Annual Business Meeting. Any unbudgeted expenditure of more $500 shall require approval by the Team. The Treasurer shall also perform such other duties as assigned by the Chair.
Section E. Other Team Members
The Chair may assign such duties as are appropriate to other members of Region Team.
Article VI: Meetings
Section A. Regional Annual Conference
This Region shall schedule an Annual Conference, which shall include an Annual Business Meeting.
Section B. Other Meetings
Workshops, inter-regional meetings, and other meetings of interest to Regional members may be arranged in consultation with the Chair and with the approval of the Team.
Article VII: Quorum
At the Annual Business Meeting of this Region, the number present shall constitute a quorum. In any mail ballots, the number of returned ballots shall constitute a quorum.
Article VIII: Parliamentary Authority
The rules contained in the most recent edition of A. Sturgis, Code of Parliamentary Procedure, shall govern the Region in all matters to which they are applicable and in which they are not in conflict with any governing document of NAFSA or these Operating Procedures.
Article IX: Amendments
The Operating Procedures may be amended by a two-thirds majority vote of the members present and voting at the Annual Business Meeting, provided that each proposed amendment has been published in the Regional Newsletter and/or on the Regional Website, or by special mailing, at least thirty (30) days in advance of the Meeting.