Southern District Conferences
Knowledge Community Events
Throughout the year, the Southern District knowledge communities may host different workshops or events. Please click on the links to the right, under Communities, to learn about upcoming events.
Southern District Virtual Conference
The Southern District is excited to present our first ever virtual conference! The virtual conference is a full conference experience – complete with live interactive presentations, an exhibitor hall, and networking opportunities – delivered to the comfort of your own home or office. We are proud that this virtual format has allowed us to reduce your registration and travel costs (the early bird registration fee is 38% lower this year!) and secure participation from government agencies like SEVP, USCIS’s Ombudsman’s Office, and the Department of State’s EducationUSA office. Through our special group registration rates we hope to allow more access to the conference than ever before across the Southern District! We look forward to seeing you at the conference and invite you to review conference details below.
Due to logistical complications with the August date, the Virtual Conference has been rescheduled to Friday, March 6, 2020. More information to follow. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused and look forward to hosting you in the spring!
- Individual: $50 Early Bird/$75 Regular
- Organizational Early Bird – 2 to 3 Participants: Receive 10% discount for group registration! Discount code must be requested prior to registration. Deadline to request discount code is Friday, July 12.
- Organizational Early Bird – 4 to 5 Participants: Receive 15% discount for group registration! Discount code must be requested prior to registration. Deadline to request discount code is Friday, July 12.
- Early bird registration ends on Friday, July 19. Conference registration ends Monday, August 5.
Registration opens on Monday, June 24! Early bird registration specials will run until Friday, July 19. Conference registration will close Monday, August 5. We encourage institutions with more than one registrant to take advantage of special group pricing to save up to 15% on early bird registration! You must use a discount code and register everyone in your group at the time of registration to be eligible for the discount. Discounts codes cannot be applied retroactively. To request your discount code, please contact Carolina de la Rosa at [email protected] with the subject line "Discount Code" and the number of people you intend to register from your institution. Requests for codes must be submitted by Friday, July 12 and must be redeemed by Friday, July 19. Please note that all registrations are final, and no refunds can be issued.
Special instructions for organizational groups:
- Group registration discounts are only available during early bird registration, which ends July 19
- Requests for codes must be submitted by Friday, July 12 and must be redeemed by Friday, July 19
- You must use a discount code and register everyone in your group at the time of registration to be eligible for the discount. Discounts codes cannot be applied retroactively.
- To request your discount code, please email the Southern District team with the subject line "Discount Code," the number of people you intend to register from your institution, and their names.
Exhibitors and Sponsors
We are excited to invite you to participate as an exhibitor or sponsor at our upcoming Virtual Conference for the 2019 Southern District Region XII conference on International Education. By exhibiting or sponsoring at the Southern District Virtual Conference you will have the opportunity to highlight your commitment to international education, while connecting with decision makers and showcasing your organization’s expertise! Spots are limited! Please review our sponsorship and exhibitor levels and contact us now to secure your spot.
We are pleased to announce the following sessions are expected to be presented at the conference:
- Employment and Training for F-1 Students (presented by SEVP Field Reps). SEVP has requested pre-submitted questions by July 1. Please submit your questions.
- Maximize International Recruitment through U.S. Departments of State and Commerce
Representatives will be presenting on resources to maximize international recruitment and have requested pre-submitted questions. Please submit your questions by July 12.
- The Citizenship and Immigration Services Ombudsman and How it Can Help You (presented by USCIS Ombudsman’s Office)
- Behind the Consular Curtain: Consular Updates 2019
- Contemporary International Student Myths at Community Colleges
- First Generation College Students' Pre-Departure Exposure to International Travels: A look at the impacts and implications
- Income Taxes: Basics Every International Student & Scholar Advisor Should Know
- International Internships: A Unique ROI for Underrepresented Students Going Abroad
- Internationalization - What do you mean?
- Pathways to Leadership Positions
- Simplify Your DSO Life
- Transformation - Can it be achieved in one week abroad?
- Turn the Communication Frown Upside Down (enhancing outreach efforts)
- Unpacking an International Experience
- Use of Gamification in the Admissions Process for the Benefit of Applicants and the Institution
Questions and Contacts
Ongoing event updates will be available here and on the SoCal District Facebook Page. Questions? Please post on Facebook or send us an email.