Committee: Board of Directors
Position: Vice President for Scholarship and Institutional Strategy
Term Dates: Three Years
The Vice President for Scholarship and Institutional Strategy (VP/SIS) provides leadership for NAFSA's professional development programs in the areas of scholarship and institutional strategy related to internationalization. S/he serves as a member of the Board of Directors, and the Board's Executive Committee, contributing to the governance of the association and the exercise of leadership.
Under the purview of the VP/SIS are three knowledge communities: International Education Leadership (IEL), Teaching, Learning, and Scholarship (TLS), and Education Abroad (EA); and the Annual Conference Committee (ACC). These groups comprise the Vice President's portfolio. The VP/SIS also advises the NAFSA professional staff on three functions related to her/his portfolio: internationalizing the curriculum, the portfolio and products of the Senior Fellows, and the research function.
The VP/SIS oversees the work of volunteer leader groups in the areas in her/his purview and works closely with staff partners to support these strategic goals of NAFSA's 2018-2020 Strategic Plan:
- Support the integration of global perspectives throughout higher education by furthering comprehensive internationalization. (Goal 2)
- Encourage and support intercultural learning for students, scholars, and educators. (Goal 3)
- Identify critical trends and issues, and champion responses that advance international education. (Goal 4)
- Create and disseminate knowledge and resources and provide professional development opportunities responsive to the ever-changing needs of the field. (Goal 5)
- Deepen and broaden NAFSA's engagement with individuals and groups whose work contributes to the success of international education, through mutually beneficial collaboration. (Goal 6)
- Continue to strengthen and diversify the association's revenue streams and organizational infrastructure to successfully meet the challenges of the future. (Goal 7)1
As a member of the Board of Directors, the VP/SIS also takes part in setting the strategic direction for the association in all goal areas and chairs the Scholarship & Institutional Strategy (SIS) Committee of the Board. S/he may also be assigned to serve on other committees of the Board.
The VP/SIS participates in meetings of the President's Coordinating Council that fosters knowledge and understanding of the strategic plan and achieves collaboration among member- leader groups with common or overlapping interests. S/he collaborates and coordinates with the Vice President for Professional Development and Engagement (VP/PDE) and the Vice President for Public Policy and Practice (VP/PPP) to ensure the effective work of all national leaders in professional development programs. In particular, integration of the input from the knowledge community and regulatory committees overseen by the VP/PDE and VP/PPP is critical to the work of the ACC. The VP/SIS also oversees contributions from her/his portfolio groups to the development of regional conference programs, as requested.
Position updated January 2020