Ready to start learning? When you register, you will have 60 days to experience your content when it's convenient for you! Look for your access link in your registration receipt, on your MyNAFSA page, or by going directly to the learning portal.
For details on registering and accessing, review the FAQ page.
This self-guided e-Learning course will lead participants towards developing a comprehensive and nuanced approach to improve their F-1 advising. Through real-world case studies, participants will gain skills to advise international students through the complexities of resolving status issues such as correcting errors, addressing visa and entry issues, supporting change of status, managing terminations and reinstatements, and more.
This is an intermediate-level course. In order to successfully apply the complex skills that are covered in this course, participants must have some prior advising experience or formal training. The content builds on the foundational competence that is gained from completing the “F-1 Advising: Getting Started” e-Learning course or the “F-1 Beginners” Core Education Program (CEP) Workshop, or formal on-the-job training.
- Identify, interpret, and apply relevant law and government policy within your institutional and legal roles.
- Inform F-1 students of necessary actions to maintain status and obtain benefits.
- Assist new and continuing F-1 students with situations that affect academic success and intercultural adjustment.
- Coordinate with campus partners to provide services and resources for F-1 students.
Special bonus: Participants will receive access to the NAFSA Adviser's Manual 360 for the duration of the course.
In each module, you will complete approximately one-two hours of interactive content. This course is divided into 6 modules. Each module will correspond to a section of the workbook and a discussion forum. You will also be asked to complete a final assessment at the end of the course.
- Duration of Access: 60 days from the date of registration. Note that extensions are rarely granted, so please ensure you have access to your content.
- Effort: 30-60 minutes per module. It will take longer depending on how much effort you put into the exercises.
- Level: Intermediate
- Course Type: 100% Online (Start on the date you register and work at your own pace for 60 days)
This class requires a small amount of reading, a series of interactive modules, discussion posts, and a final assessment. To complete the course you should:
- Go through the interactive module
- Take notes and fill out your workbook
- Respond to the discussion prompts in the forum
- Explore any of the supplemental readings that interest you
- Take the final assessment
- Mini-Quizzes throughout the modules are meant to guide learning and are not counted towards completion of the course.
- The workbook is for your own benefit, and will not be counted towards completion of the course. Please take detailed notes to refer back to in the future after you complete this course.
- The final assessment is comprised of content-related questions. Submitting the final quiz is a required element of the course in order to receive your Certificate of Participation.
Your 2021 F-1 Advising: Beyond the Basics e-Learning Dean
Make use of a unique opportunity. Our subject matter expert, Vivian Yamoah, will be monitoring the discussion boards. If you have questions throughout the course or about situations you are currently facing, she will be ready to provide insights along with your peers.