The Rising Star Young Leader Award is given annually in recognition of a professional who has impacted the field of international education during the first five years of the recipient's area of work. The rising star will have demonstrated a commitment to internationalization and an ingenuity of thought that has the potential for having substantial and lasting influence upon global education.
Nominations for this award are forwarded from NAFSA regions.
- Carolyn Becker, Texas Woman’s University (2018)
- Luis Legaspi (2017), University of California-San Diego (2017)
- Shao Chen (Johanna) Pan-Carr, Fordham University (2016)
- Seth Riker, University of Kentucky (2015)
To be considered for the Rising Star Young Leader Award a nominee:
- May or may not be a NAFSA member
- Has served in their present area of expertise/specialization no more than 5 years
- Shows passion and has made significant contributions to their department, unit, institution, organization, to the NAFSA community, and/or to the field of international education
- Has engaged in activities such as:
- Organized or led an activity or range of activities or services within their organization that promotes international education
- Demonstrated innovation in their area of specialization
- Presented at conferences and/or have engaged in publications of their work
- Contributed to international education as a volunteer leader, etc.
- Shows promise in making further contributions to the field of international education as a leader
Nominations for the Rising Star Young Leader award are forwarded from NAFSA regions. Each NAFSA region may nominate one candidate annually.
The awardee will receive:
- Complimentary registration to attend NAFSA Annual Conference to receive their award
- Recognition on stage during a NAFSA Annual Conference plenary, with reserved audience seating for the awardee and two designated guests
- Acknowledgement on Circle of Excellence signage at the NAFSA Annual Conference and on the NAFSA website
- A video interview to be hosted on the NAFSA website
- An invitation to the NAFSA Appreciation Reception for the awardee and two designated guests
- An opportunity to review Shared Interest proposals for a future annual conference
- A framed recognition plaque to display at their home or office
- An invitation to write a NAFSA blog post on their connections to international education, NAFSA leadership, etc.