Welcome to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania! The birthplace of America, the city of brotherly love, the cheesesteak capital, and most recently, home of the 2018 Super Bowl World Champions of Football.
Philadelphia boasts big-city living with a small-town feel, thanks to its historical significance, rich cultural diversity, and world-class amenities. Philadelphia is where cobblestone streets meet towering skyscrapers; generation shop owners meet international business visitors; and world-renowned art museums and five-star restaurants meet a bold public street art scene and local hole-in-the-wall eateries. Philadelphia truly has something unique to offer every type of visitor. With the 2018 NAFSA Annual Conference & Expo just a few months away, it’s time to start planning your trip!
Conference Location: The Pennsylvania Convention Center (PCC)
NAFSA 2018 will be hosted in the Pennsylvania Convention Center (PCC), located in the heart of Philadelphia, or as locals aptly call it, “Center City.” The PCC is an L- shaped structure that covers 1 million square feet and takes up nearly four city blocks. It neighbors the famous Reading Terminal Market, Chinatown, and Philadelphia’s City Hall. Year-round, the convention center hosts many nationally and internationally acclaimed events, most notably the Philadelphia Flower Show and the Philadelphia Auto Show. The Convention Center is accessible via all public transportation routes.
Highlights of Philly
Philadelphia is a renowned East Coast destination. The proud home to much of the United States’ early national history, Philadelphia is also known to have some of the best contemporary art, award-winning restaurants, and attractions. Below are a few fast facts about Philly that are sure to spark your wanderlust and sense of adventure as we begin the countdown to #NAFSA2018!
Did “Youse” Know?
- “Youse” is “Philly speak” for a group of people in the informal plural form—much like “y’all” in the South.
- Philadelphia is home to the Declaration of Independence and the Liberty Bell.
- There is an unsettled debate over who makes the best cheesesteak--Pat’s or Geno’s, but many locals might tell you it’s Jim’s!
- Philadelphia was the first capital of the United States of America.
- Philadelphia hosts five major sports teams:
- Eagles (American football)
- Phillies (Baseball)
- Flyers (Ice hockey)
- 76ers (Basketball)
- Union (Soccer)
- Philadelphia has been called the “City or Murals,” due to its expansive mural arts program and fiercely active street art scene.
- Philly is a city of firsts, including the place where the first flag of the United States was sewn and home of the first university, zoo, hospital, newspaper, and the list goes on!
- You can have your own “Rocky experience” and snap a picture with his statue outside of the famous Philadelphia Museum of Art steps.
- 36 colleges and universities are located inside the Philadelphia city limits.
- Philadelphians have been known to have their own distinct accent and unique rhetoric: jawn, hoagie, and scrapple, to name a few.
- Museums in Philadelphia are kind of a big deal. Philadelphia has the largest collection of Impressionist paintings outside of Paris.
Geography and Weather
Philadelphia is conveniently located about two hours south of New York City and about three hours north of Washington, D.C., serving as the perfect location to start or finish an extended vacation to attend the NAFSA Annual Conference & Expo. The Mid-Atlantic region of the United States experiences its best weather in May and June with temperatures in the high 70s and low 80s, with few rainy days. It is the perfect time to visit before the summer heat wave and locals head to the “Jersey shore” for a beach escape.
Registration for NAFSA 2018 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania is now open. To benefit from the early-bird discount, NAFSA must receive your registration form by April 13, 2018. Online registration closes on June 1, 2018.
Hailey Gouza is the university relations coordinator and marketing assistant for the Mid-Atlantic region at Barcelona Study Abroad Experience (Barcelona SAE) and Local Arrangements Team (LAT) communications chair for the NAFSA 2018 Annual Conference & Expo.