NAFSA's eleven regions welcome you to join us at the NAFSA All-Region Summit, a special virtual conference held October 4 - 22, 2021. Participants gain access to live and on-demand region-specific content, as well as shared activities and events. This first-ever combined regional event will provide participants with new learning, networking, and engagement opportunities.
George Commenator Award
The George Commenator Award was created in 2005 in memory of George Commenator an outstanding individual and Region XI NAFSA member, whose professional life was dedicated to the field of international education, and who provided extensive service to the regional and national NAFSA community. This lifetime achievement award will honor a NAFSA Region XI member who has provided extensive service to the regional and/or national NAFSA community.
This award includes and plaque and a free registration to all Region XI events. The official presentation of the award will be made at the regional conference.
- 2020 - Carol Lebold (University of Massachusetts, Amherst) View Carol's nomination video
- 2019 - Christina (Tina) Bruen - (University of Massachusetts - Dartmouth)
- 2018 - Jane Etish-Andrews (Tufts University)
- 2017 - Tom Thomsen (WPI)
- 2016 - No award given
- 2015 - Don Ross (Salem State University), and Danielle Guichard-Ashbrook (MIT) - awarded posthumously
- 2014 - Andrea (Andi) Walgren (Boston University)
- 2013 - Patricia Vokbus (UMASS)
- 2012 - No award given
- 2011 - No award given
- 2010 - Steve Harvey (Southern New Hampshire University)
- 2009 - No award given
- 2008 - Stephen Lambert (Plymouth State University)
- 2007 - Bob Chudy (UConn)
- 2006 - Gene Chamberlain (MIT)
- 2005 - John Eng-Wong (Brown University) and Mary Tinkham (Harvard)