NAFSA's Advocate of the Year
This award is given annually to recognize an international education advocate who has excelled in grassroots advocacy. The Advocate of the Year inspires others to make a difference by engaging their elected officials in discussions and promoting policies that create a more welcoming and globally engaged United States.
Meet our 2023 Advocate of the Year: Abby Conder Lussier!
Nominations for the 2024 awards are now being accepted. Nominate a colleague today!
A seasoned advocate who:
- Is a member of NAFSA
- Is registered for Connecting Our World
- Has participated in a NAFSA advocacy event
- Has participated in a NAFSA letter-writing campaign in the past year
Nominees have made documented contributions in the following areas:
- Has proven and successful advocacy outcomes with national and/or state-level advocacy initiatives
- Has a relationship with their member of Congress and/or their staff (either new, developing, or established)
- Has taken action to advance NAFSA's public policy priorities
- Has encouraged/supported/motivated their colleagues to participate in NAFSA's advocacy work
A committee, selected by the vice president of public policy and practice, includes the vice president, two NAFSA staff members, and a previous Advocate of the Year Award recipient. The committee reviews and evaluates all nominations before announcing the Advocate of the Year, which typically happens in the spring.