The COVID-19 pandemic has affected higher education worldwide. Two NAFSA member leaders, Kimberley Cossey, MA, (2021 registrar for Region VIII) and Heidi Fischer, PhD (2021 chair for Region VIII), have coauthored a research brief detailing how the COVID-19 pandemic impacted virtual exchange program development and delivery at community colleges in the United States. The research brief summarizes key takeaways from mixed-methods research (i.e., survey and interviews) with practitioners from U.S. community colleges, requesting information about:
- The pandemic's impact on existing virtual exchange programs (VEPs),
- The impact on developing new VEPs, and
- New (virtual) models for international education.
Key takeaways include information about:
- Impacts on existing VEPs
- Impacts on developing new VEPs
- Resource allocation and sustainability
- Development of other virtual content
The research brief ends with several implications for community college administrators, faculty, and leaders to consider in relation to international education at their institution.