DOS Cable UNCLAS STATE 118790 (July 9, 2001)

This July 9, 2001 Department of State cable instructed posts on the use of the B-2 visitor category by cohabitating partners of long-term non-immigrants in various categories. These cohabitating, unmarried, partners can obtain a B-2 visa as long as they are otherwise eligible for B-2 classification and can overcome INA 214(b) The Foreign Affairs Manual was revised to incorporate this standard. See 9 FAM 402.2-4(B)(5), Cohabitating Partners, Extended Family Members, and Other Household Members Not Eligible for Derivative Status.