73 Fed. Reg. 55683 (September 26, 2008)ICE published the final SEVIS fee/recertification rule on September 26, 2008. The rule is effective on October 27, 2008.
Brief SummaryThe rule has three principal parts:
- Fee hikes of SEVIS I-901, initial certification, and site visit fees
- Rules for recertification of F and M schools
- New I-17 and maintenance of school certification rules
Fee Hikes Effective October 27, 2008
|Item||Before 10/27/08||On and After 10/27/08|
|I-901 F/M Students||$100||$200 |
|I-901 J-1 Exchange Visitors||$100||$180|
|I-901 J-1 Au Pairs, Camp Counselors, |
Summer Work Study
|I-901 J-1 Federally sponsored exchange visitor programs (program code starts with G-1, G-2, G-3, or G-7)||$0||$0|
|F or M School Initial Certification||$230||$1700|
|Initial Certification Site Visits, and Site Visits for Adding an Additional Campus||$350||$655|
RecertificationSome notes about recertification under the new rule, from an SEVP guidance document:
- Recertification will occur in phases, i.e., not all schools will apply for recertification at the same time.
- SEVP has not yet begun the recertification process. Schools cannot apply for recertification until they have been notified to do so by SEVP.
- Each month following the first notification, SEVP will send 180-day notices to additional schools, until all schools currently eligible for recertification have gone through the process.
- A school cannot begin the recertification process until it receives its 180-day notice. The notice will be sent to the PDSO and all DSOs as well.
- After being recertified the first time, schools will receive a new certification expiration date, and will then have to apply for recertification before that date every two years thereafter.
New I-17 and Maintenance of School Certification RulesThe final rule also establishes the following changes:
- Alter the list of records a school is required to keep on individual students.
- Specify I-17 upkeep requirements.
- New rules for "out-of-cycle" review of certified schools, which DHS can institute at any time during a school's certification period.