The U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and the U.S. Department of State (DOS) remind the traveling public that as of Jan. 31, 2008, all adult travelers will be required to present proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate, and proof of identity, such as a driver’s license, when entering the United States through land and sea ports of entry. DHS will be issuing a notice in the Federal Register formally announcing the change. U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officers may accept oral declarations of citizenship from U.S. and Canadian citizens seeking entry into the United States through a land or sea border until January 30, 2008.

As of January 31, 2008, U.S. and Canadian citizens will need to present either:

  • A WHTI-compliant document including:
    • U.S. Passport
    • U.S. Passport Card
    • Trusted Traveler Card (SENTRI, NEXUS, FAST)
    • Valid Merchant Mariner Document (MMD) when traveling in conjunction with official maritime business
    • Valid U.S. Military identification card when traveling on official orders
  • Or both of the following:
    • Government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license
    • Proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate.