This workshop contains specific content that secondary school Designated School Officials (DSOs) need to best assist F-1 students. Learn the rules that affect your F-1 students and your role in serving them. Gain key compliance information for the DSO’s role, learn how to respond to common requests of F-1 secondary school students, and receive up-to-date written materials for future reference.
- Increase awareness of critical DSO (Designated School Official) responsibilities.
- Examine basic advising situations and apply knowledge and skills necessary for effective advising.
- Build strategies to support international student adjustment needs.
- Institutional responsibilities
- Procedures for attaining F-1 status
- Responding to F-1 requests
- Reduced course load
- Travel and reentry
- Program extension
- Supporting adjustment
What Participants Are Saying
- “The discussion-based exercises built into the training were one of the most valuable things.” - Annual Conference workshop participant
- “The small scope of focus on essential High School DSO responsibilities was a huge plus.” - Regional Conference workshop participant
- “Probably the best workshop on SEVP that I have attended in the 8 years that I have been doing this job.” - Regional Conference workshop participant
K-12 P/DSOs, faculty, staff, and administrators who advise F-1 international students.