This workshop contains specific content that secondary school Designated School Officials (DSOs) need to best assist F-1 students. Learn the rules that affect your F-1 students and your role in serving them. Gain key compliance information for the DSO’s role, learn how to respond to common requests of F-1 secondary school students, and receive up-to-date written materials for future reference.
- Increase awareness of critical DSO (Designated School Official) responsibilities.
- Examine basic advising situations and apply knowledge and skills necessary for effective advising.
- Build strategies to support international student adjustment needs.
- Institutional responsibilities
- Procedures for attaining F-1 status
- Responding to F-1 requests
- Reduced course load
- Travel and reentry
- Program extension
- Supporting adjustment
What Participants Are Saying
- “The discussion-based exercises built into the training were one of the most valuable things.” - Annual Conference workshop participant
- “The small scope of focus on essential High School DSO responsibilities was a huge plus.” - Regional Conference workshop participant
- “Probably the best workshop on SEVP that I have attended in the 8 years that I have been doing this job.” - Regional Conference workshop participant
K-12 P/DSOs, faculty, staff, and administrators who advise F-1 international students.
Build your Competencies
NAFSA International Education Professional Competencies 2.0 outline the abilities, skills, and foundational knowledge necessary for successful international educators. Learn more about NAFSA Competencies 2.0.
This learning content targets the competency categories of Compliance Management and Recruitment, Enrollment, and Advising.